How to Protect Sump Discharge Pipe in Reed Growth

Old 11-16-19, 06:50 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to Protect Sump Discharge Pipe in Reed Growth

How can I terminate my discharge outlet to protect it from getting clogged in the midst of heavy reed growth and wet land area?

Previous owners laid the buried discharge pipe from our crawl space sump pump to the middle of a wetland area with a large amount of reed growth (with its fibrous web of tuber rhizomes). It is not possible to prevent the reeds from growing all around the discharge outlet and the wetlands have about a foot of water in the summer. (yes there is a check valve installed.) The discharge outlet was buried without any protection or basin and I worry about it getting clogged.

Is there something I can install to terminate the outlet into that would keep the outlet clear and give me a chance of protecting the area from heavy growth and debris?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-19, 05:19 AM
Group Moderator
Received 267 Votes on 242 Posts
Does your pump have enough power to spray the water into the air? If so you could angle the end of the discharge hose upwards 45 degrees and get the end of the pipe a couple feet above ground level. This will keep the end of the hose up and out of the dirt & mud. The water will be discharged away from the hose, hopefully much of the reed growth will go for the water.

Norm201 voted this post useful.