Lots of rain last night and water near floor grate in basement almost 1 inch

Old 12-14-19, 10:33 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Lots of rain last night and water near floor grate in basement almost 1 inch

We has lots of rain here in Westbrook Maine for about 24 hours and I woke up to a whole lot of water around a grate in the basement floor and expanding for maybe 10 or 15 feet in either direction, maybe 1 inch deep.

I am totally ignorant to this stuff. All I know is it's near a big square grate in the basement concrete floor and next to it is some type of 5 inch whole thing with a cover on it.

Do I have a sump pump in there that needs to be fixed?

I don't know anything about any of this and never had anything like this is the 5 years I've lived here happen yet.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-19, 05:46 AM
Received 30 Votes on 29 Posts
1. Remove the grate, exposing the pit underneath.

2. Pump out the water from the pit under the grate. (may take a while especially if more water is coming in from underground hopefully not fast enough to stop you from doing step 3 below).

3. Take pictures of what is in the pit and also of nearby objects that appear to be related. Include a wider angle picture of the pit and the surrounding area about 3 feet on each side.

4. Resize the pictures to about 800 pixels wide, except leave them as-is if they were smaller.

5. Post the pictures on line as a reply to this thread.

The reason why sump pumps are placed in pits is so that will be a difference in water level of several inches for turning the sump pump on and off. One inch from bare floor level to one inch deep water is not enough of a spread and the pump will wear out rapidly if it keep running 24/7 to whisk away any water as soon as it appears..

Last edited by AllanJ; 12-15-19 at 06:02 AM.
Old 12-15-19, 06:52 AM
Group Moderator
Received 298 Votes on 272 Posts
I doubt there is room for a pump under a 5" grate. I assume it's simply a gravity drain of some type either draining to daylight or to a French drain. I think your first job is to figure out where it leads.

Old 12-15-19, 09:24 AM
Received 57 Votes on 53 Posts
I do not think he means a 5" grate.
I think he has a large grate and also a 5 inch hole with a cover.

I am guessing the 5" hole is a clean out access.

He does not mention any electrical or piping going into the grate so I also doubt it is a sump.
I have never seen a large grate in a home but who knows this might be some type of commercial building.

Definitely need more info!

Old 12-16-19, 04:34 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi guys thanks.

This "grate" is about 1.5' by 1.5 feet I'd say. About a foot or so from it is a round covered hole about 5 inches across with a cover that screws off with a tool I guess.