septic tank question

Old 01-28-20, 11:34 AM
V
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
septic tank question

good afternoon
I have a house that's been vacant 5 years, and while getting it ready to rent I noticed a hole in the yard above the tank, stuck a stick down and I could tell I was in the tank. So I called a service, they dug to expose the lid and what had happened was, one or more of the top concrete blocks that make up the walls had either shifted or broken and the lid was leaning. made a big mistake, had the tank pumped since the truck was there, and they stacked a few blocks to replace the ones missing and put the lid back on. next day a few more blocks gave way and now there's two lids in the tank. probably because the tank was empty for several hours until the water table came back into the tank, right? the advice I'm getting is, put in a new precast tank next to or nearby the old one and hook it back up to the existing drain field and line coming from the house. some contractors also want to run a new drain line. but i did talk to one who would just install the tank, he said it would not be as deep as the one that's there and would work fine. so my question is, do I go with that or keep looking for someone that might be able to repair the existing tank: A few more of the blocks have fallen in the tank, so the repair I'm thinking is possible is, build the walls back up correctly, with rebar and install new lids. Or is the age of the tank and the fact a few blocks have already gave way tell you that won't last? Thanks for your opinions here, I appreciate it.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-20, 11:45 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 690 Votes on 637 Posts
You're better off replacing the tank. Built in place tanks like yours have a limited lifespan and it sounds like yours reached it about 10 years ago.

Old 01-29-20, 12:18 PM
V
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
thanks for your input, I appreciate it !