well pump pressure control valve

Old 02-26-20, 08:40 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
well pump pressure control valve

I am replacing a goulds J7 3/4 hp twin pipe deep well jet pump with the same pump. My question is do I need a pressure control valve ? goulds says that twin pipe deep well pumps 3/4 hp or more need a pressure control valve installed in the pump discharge line and kit to connect the pressure switch to the control valve. The way the pump is installed now there is no control valve and the pressure switch line is connected to the body of the pump and there is a standard port ball valve installed in the discharge line at the pump. The pump works fine the way it is, but is this an ok way to do it ? Or should I get the goulds pressure control valve kit and put one in when I replace the pump with the new one ?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-20, 09:17 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 347 Votes on 319 Posts
I have never heard of a pressure control valve or PRV being used on a well pump system. The system pressure is controlled by the pressure switch.

Old 02-26-20, 10:14 AM
R
All other horizontal deep well jet pumps, hp and larger, should use an AV22KIT, or an AV22 and a JDW tubing kit. The AV22 has a tapping to which you connect the new, longer pressure switch tubing. This allows the pressure switch to read the pressure on the outboard side of the valve rather than in the pump casing. Remove the straight or elbow compression fitting from the pump casing. Use the pipe plug in the JDW or AV22KIT to plug the hole in the pump casing. Remove the fitting from the pressure switch. Cut the old tubing in half and slide the compression fittings off the old tubing. Note that the fitting will only slide in one direction. You can now reuse the elbow compression fitting with the new tubing at the pressure switch. Screw the new straight connector into the AV22 and attach the tubing from the switch to the AV22. Vertical deep well pumps come with a built-in AV21 and only need to be adjusted. After the pump is primed and flowing water at a steady pressure you should open a few faucets and adjust the pressure control valve to the pressure listed in the chart. To increase pressure close the valve, AV15 or AV22, or turn the AV21 screw clockwise. this is what it says in the gould install manual

Old 02-26-20, 12:35 PM
R
This is what it also says in the goulds install manual, All deep well jet pumps require back pressure to operate the jet assembly. To insure we have the required back pressure or drive water pressure we must use a pressure control valve or some type of flow restrictor in the discharge line. The valve must be located between the pump and the first discharge port. It is best to locate it as close to the pump as possible. Failure to install and adjust a pressure control valve will result in loss of prime during peak usage such as filling a washing machine, bathtub or using outside hose bibs. All hp pumps can use a simple gas **** or full port ball valve, such as our AV15.

Old 02-26-20, 01:57 PM
P
Group Moderator
Interesting... I've never done it. Also, I don't know of anything in the house that can flow enough water volume to cause the pressure to drop enough to loose prime. Maybe if you opened 3 or 5 faucets at the same time but I've never seen a house's water pressure drop enough in use to cause a problem. A few months ago a cable installer broke a pipe free under a house and it was flowing free and the pump just kept pumping... until the well ran dry.

I will say one thing though. I have all my pressure switches mounted at the base of the pressure tank at least several feet away from the pump so they are reading the house's water pressure and not the pressure inside the pump housing.

Old 02-26-20, 05:30 PM
R
the goulds J7 jet pump comes with the pressure switch mounted on the motor and has a line to the pump case and reads the pressure from the pump case. the pump is mounted on top of the pressure tank. the only well systems I have seen with the pressure switch on the T off the pressure tank are on pumps that are in the well. Like I said the jet pump that's installed now works fine the way it's hooked up now, I'm changing the pump because its leaking and I'm putting in a new pressure tank. I was reading the the installation manual and that is what it said to do when installing a twin pipe deep well jet pump. I guess I will just replace the pump and hook it up the way it is now, was just wondering why goulds wanted pressure control valve installed.

Old 02-27-20, 04:54 AM
P
Group Moderator
You could give them a call and ask.