Pressure tank low pressure 15 psi - high pressure 50 psi

Old 10-01-20, 10:41 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pressure tank low pressure 15 psi - high pressure 50 psi

My pressure tank reading when the low pressure switch turns the pump on is 15 psi but the high pressure switches off at 50 psi. There isn't an adjustment for just low pressure on the switch so is there a fix for this? Is my switch bad or is there something else going on?

Thanks for the help

Old 10-01-20, 03:57 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,322 Votes on 1,222 Posts
The pump pressure switch works on system pressure.
The pressure tank is there to stabilize operating pressure and keep the pump from cycling.

What you need to do is shut the pump off. Allow this system to drain so there is 0 psi pressure.
Air charge the tank to probably 28 psi with a 30 psi pump turn on.

Old 10-01-20, 04:59 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 747 Votes on 686 Posts
Do you have a pressure gauge on your water system (not the air in the pressure tank)?

Is your water pressure acting "funny"? The pressure slowly drops noticeably when using water then picks up then drops again?

Old 10-01-20, 06:05 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I drained the tank to 0 psi and charged back up to 29 psi and it's now working as it should turning on around 30 psi and off around 50 psi. I'll keep an eye on it and see if the pressure goes down. I've attached a picture of a gauge on the inlet / outlet of the tank and it stays around 47 psi no matter what the tank pressure or if the pump was on or off. What pressure is that gauge monitoring?

Old 10-01-20, 07:10 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,322 Votes on 1,222 Posts
That's monitoring your system pressure.
If it doesn't change.... water leaked out inside it and it's rusted stuck.
Time for a new one.

Old 10-02-20, 09:00 AM
Z
Received 33 Votes on 32 Posts
it's now working as it should turning on around 30 psi and off around 50 psi
How do you know that if the gauge is stuck?

Old 10-03-20, 04:18 AM
A
Received 109 Votes on 101 Posts
Suggestion: Replace the pressure switch and make sure the tube connecting it to the system is cleaned out.

If the pressure switch is worn and starting to act erratically then it is likely to need continual attention and you don't want that.

There are a few good reasons* to have the pump turn on at 15 PSI and turn off at 60 PSI but those parameters are rarely selected voluntarily.

If the pressure switch is turning on at 15 PSI and turning off at 50 PSI and you preset a bladder pressure tank to 28 PSI then you will get performance with approximate 30 PSI turn on and 50 PSI turn off.

When the system pressure gets down to 28 PSI the tank bladder will hit bottom and the pressure tank will cease imparting pressure to the rest of the system. The system pressure will drop below15 for a moment and the pump will turn on. The system pressure will immediately rise, probably to more than 30 PSI and all is well, almost.

There will be a moment of perhaps 3 seconds when system pressure will be close to zero at pump turn on time which may or may not be desirable.

* In practice,a well water system pressure tank is typically roughly 1/3 (33%) full of water when the pump finishes its cycle. For a 30/50 pressure switch the pressure tank (preset to 28 PSI) will be about 40% full at pump turn off. With a switch operating either defacto or intentionally at 15/50 the pressure tank, also preset to cut in minus 2 PSI (here, 13 PSI) will be about 70% full at pump turn off allowing even greater draw down before the pump starts again, which is good for the pump. But you will notice the gradual changes in pressure much more when taking a shower.

Last edited by AllanJ; 10-03-20 at 04:35 AM.
Old 10-18-20, 02:05 PM
S
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
For about a year my pressure gauge was reading 60 on and 80 off - doubt it was really doing that. Then for about a month it was just stuck at 70. When I had a filter system installed last week they replaced the gauge. So I guess a gauge can go bad while the pressure switch is still sensing pressure and functioning as it should.

Mine now turns off around 65 psi according to the gauge. I assume on around 40.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: