How to stop our well water from clogging up all our faucets?

Old 05-12-21, 09:35 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to stop our well water from clogging up all our faucets?

We live in Florida and have well water. Recently all our faucets, toilets, showers, washing machine, etc have experienced heavy clogging to the point of no longer working. We have cleaned out all the filters we can get too and replaced the inner toilet parts but less than a week later it is completely clogged again. Our bath tub gets hot water but almost no cold water. Our toilets take days to fill the tanks. Our washing machine is giving errors about the water (or lack of) when we try to do laundry. What can we do to solve this problem? Or is it an indication of a bigger problem with the well?

Old 05-12-21, 10:20 AM
A
Received 33 Votes on 31 Posts
what are you seeing in the filters?

Old 05-12-21, 11:15 AM
B
Black sediment and grit. There is also Black sediment in the water that does come out.

Old 05-12-21, 11:19 AM
Received 535 Votes on 495 Posts
So you have whole house filters right off the well? Or I should say in the house prior to pressure tank?

Old 05-12-21, 12:05 PM
B
By filters, I mean the small mesh filters that are on the faucets themselves. We don't have any kind of extra filter/system between the pump and the house.

Old 05-12-21, 12:06 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 966 Votes on 887 Posts
In the short term I would get a whole house filter and install it somewhere it is easy to access to you can regularly change the filter.

I would look at your well. If this just started happening it's possible your well casing has rusted through. If that's the case having the well sleeved can be a permenant fix. If you have a sand point or a driven shallow well it's possible that it has rusted through in which case it would need to be replaced.

Old 05-12-21, 03:30 PM
B
Is there a type or brand you would recommend? I looked at home depot and I'm seeing a wide range of options from $30- $2k. Is the whole house filter something that can be installed easily or would it require a professional?

Old 05-12-21, 05:09 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 966 Votes on 887 Posts
Filters are easy to install. Because you have so much sediment I would install it downstream (on the house side) of your pressure switch. This is important because if the filter clogs you want the pressure switch to see the rise in pressure and turn off the pump. If the filter is installed upstream (towards the well) of the pressure switch and the filter clogs the pressure switch will keep the pump running until something bursts.

Old 05-13-21, 07:28 AM
Group Moderator
Received 68 Votes on 57 Posts
BRC - What part of the state are you in? We live in an area with lots of houses on well and the standard set-up is a two pump system. The "well" pump feeds an aeration and settling tank (hundred gallons or so) and that in turn is the feed for the "house" pump and pressure tank. Even with this setup I have sediment screens both before and after the aeration tank that I clean periodically. As a final filtering I have a dual cartridge filter (one sand/sediment and one "carbon") between the house pump and the water softener. The big box stores sell the in-line sediment screen/housing, but there are better quality ones available. Ditto on the whole-house setups.

Old 05-13-21, 04:20 PM
B
We are in North Florida, Columbia County.

Old 05-17-21, 05:40 AM
Group Moderator
Received 68 Votes on 57 Posts
Had to think about where Columbia County was; been a while since I was up in your neck of the woods.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: