Questions on vent for sump pump and installation

Old 01-14-22, 01:34 PM
Q
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Questions on vent for sump pump and installation

Hello all,

I experienced some issues today where all my toilets trap water are ejected outside of the toilet.
The issue I found is that the "sewage" sump pump might not work correctly instead it pumps air into the venting system through the vent pipe and cause all toilet trap water spilled outside.

Question 1> This is sewage pit but we don't have a basement toilet system instead it just has some clean underground water and condensation water from furnace. Do I still need a vent pipe?
If I can remove the vent pipe connected to the pit, I can prevent the issue happening again where it pumps air into the venting system. As I said, we have this setup for more than five years and never had such an issue. The new zoeller M267 was installed a few month ago and works perfectly until now. The replaced system was a Zoeller M98 without check-valve.

Question 2> Does my sump pump installation have any issues?
We have the new pump & check-valve for more than three months and never had such a problem before.
As shown in the picture, the pump has a quiet check-valve installation near the base and there is also a drilled vent hole to prevent air-lock.

Thank you

Old 01-14-22, 06:42 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
I don't see a vent in your picture. A vent to the pit is just a way to remove stagnant fumes.
If the sump pit is not sealed.... no vent is necessary.
That "vent hole" is actually a weep hole. It 's only there to help the pump prime.

It sounds like your sump is pumping into a clogged line. There is supposed to be a vent line up thru the roof allowing air into the drain lines.

Your issue is a clogged drain line..... not a sump pump issue.

Old 01-14-22, 07:45 PM
Q
Hello PJmax,

I think I probably know what the issue is.

When the issue happens, the pump is keeping running but there is no water in the pit so the pump just pump air through the vent pipe which is not shown in the picture.

I didn't make any changes now it works as expected. So my guess is that the pump is running dry and pushed the air through the vent hole up to the house. The drain line is not clogged b/c it doesn't have issue to pump the water after I open the pit cap.

Thank you

Old 01-14-22, 07:46 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
If there is no water in the pit.... the pump will not pump anything.
The pump will not pump air.

Old 01-14-22, 08:03 PM
Q
PJmax,

So my understanding here is that I hear the pump noise when all upstairs toilets spill water outside. Basically, I see air pump out from the toilet hole. After I unplug the pump from the power, all the issues went away.
So my guess is that the pump might be somehow stuck in the on position and pump air through the vent pipes into the whole house venting system.

Strangely enough, I didn't make any fix and now the issue went away.

Thank you

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: