Pressure Switch Issues

Old 03-25-22, 07:36 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Pressure Switch Issues

System is a deep well but had no water to house so did the following.
I had an automatic pressure (non Lever type) switch set at 40/60 with bladder set at 38psi (empty) about a week ago had no water checked volts/amps and capacitor (typical me being an electrician LOL) all good, cleaned contacts and unit worked for a few days, quit again so purchased another pressure switch (lever Style) manual start one as no auto ones available. I also replace short brass pipe to switch and installed new switch and turned it on then checked setting for 40/60 all good. Now here is the strange thing I can run shower, sinks and toilet separately but now cannot flush and run sink at same time without pump switch kicking off. Sat at tank and watched as my wife operated sink and toilet, ran sink 1st pressure went to 40 kicked on and then kicked off at 60 so both together pressure got to 40 heard something like a sucking sound and switch kicked to off position. Have I missed a step, should I switch back to an auto type switch? Any insight with be appreciated.

Old 03-25-22, 07:56 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
All pressure switches can be considered automatic. After all, it's what they do. They turn on at pressure A and turn off at pressure B. The manual actuation lever doesn't change that so I doubt it's a switch issue.

I would do more investigating to narrow down exactly what is causing the sucking sound and why the switch is kicking off when it shouldn't.

What is using water in the house shouldn't have an impact. After all, the pump and pressure switch can't magically see what is consuming the water. I would spend more time at the switch when water is being used to find other situations where the problem might occur. Maybe open a faucet or spigot 1/4 and see how the switch behaves. Then try with the spigot 1/2 open and then full open to see if there are any differences.

Since you have an unusual problem I would also check for leaks. Make sure nothing in the house is using water (check from trickeling toilets, no automatic humidifier taking water, RO filter shutoff in off position...). Let the system come up to pressure and turn off. Then check it after 5, 10, 30 and 60 minutes to see if the pressure drops. If it does you have a leak somewhere. I'm wondering because a leak could possibly cause a sucking sound.

Old 03-25-22, 01:37 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
so I replaced the contacts on auto pressure switch the one i took off and replaced with a manual start unit, I then removed and replaced manual start unit with the one I repaired and did some testing sink 1st shower 2nd then toilet 3rd. Then combination of all three and finally all 3 at same time pressure drops to 40psi and kicks right in and off at 60 psi, think i purchased a faulty Manual start switch and it was causing my issues

Old 03-26-22, 10:58 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Just to clarify a little detail...... all pressure switches are automatic.

The model with the little lever is a protected pressure switch.
If your well goes dry.... the pressure switch opens the contacts to save the pump from burning up.
You have to manually reset the switch. This is done so that your acknowledging a problem.

When the well goes dry with a standard pressure switch the pump will run until it burns up.

Old 03-26-22, 02:06 PM
Z
Received 124 Upvotes on 115 Posts
Hi R-

If your tank air pressure is a little bit off, e.g. your switch LOW setting is 40 and so your tank setting should be 38, but instead the tank setting is 40 or above, you can run out of water before the pump comes ON. When you run out of water the pressure drops to zero instantaneously.

And so if you have one of those switches with the safety lever (Pjmax post # 4) the switch turns OFF because it sees zero pressure and thus the switch needs the manual reset. Sounds like maybe that was happening. Worse, if the tank setting is close to the right setting the system may only run out of water and see zero pressure and shut off some of the time.

I think there are other posts on this forum talking about that problem. I seem to remember that.

One time I had woodpecker sounding switch chatter – LOL. I think it was because my tank air was right on the edge, and somehow the switch coming ON exactly when the tank ran out of water seemed to be the problem. Don’t know exactly how or why though, just a guess – but I reset my tank air and the problem disappeared.

So I always now use 2 tire gauges to check my tank pressure.

Old 03-26-22, 02:20 PM
M
Received 294 Upvotes on 264 Posts
I cannot say what is causing the problem.
The sound you hear may be a clue.

The switch will not tolerate any air in the line.
If an air bubble passes the switch the pressure drops to zero and the switch shuts down and must be manually reset.

This is a safety device re: if the pump comes loose from the pipe or you have a massive leak before the pressure switch it ensures that the pump does not run forever,

I had a similar problem with a small leak in the pipe that I could not locate.
I had to go back to a non protected switch rather than having to reset it manually every morning.

Old 03-26-22, 03:33 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
They are more forgiving then tripping with a brief blast of air.
Typically if it trips.... the well is not producing water. (lots of air)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: