Well pressure issue

Old 05-30-22, 05:59 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Well pressure issue

My sprinklers keep losing pressure then gaining pressure. Went to the well supply and hear a ticking not a rapid tick tho. It’s coming from a electric mini box that has wiring running through it. Any ideas? Every time it ticks is when the pressure drops

Old 05-30-22, 06:59 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
If you're on a well I'd say your pressure tank isn't maintaining a constant pressure while your pump is running. How many heads are you running at one time, and what kind of head? (Rated for how many gpm vs how much your well can deliver?) Do the math.

Old 05-30-22, 07:13 PM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
The clicking noise is the pressure switch kicking on and off and is normal. Depending on how many sprinkler heads you are running the clicks will likely be 20-40 seconds apart. If it is more frequent than that you may have a water-logged pressure tank. To check that you can let a little air out of the Schrader valve on the top of the pressure tank and see if there is water or just air. It should be just air if you have a bladder tank.

I'm guessing you do not have a pressure gauge on your water system?

Old 05-31-22, 12:07 PM
D
Well pressure

I do have a gauge it goes up and down with the clicks I have to read what the pressure is. I just bought the house not long ago there is a blue tank the size of a propane tank that was put in a year ago. Each zone runs 4 heads at a time and there rotary heads that shoot about about 40 ft I’m going to try and release air. They were running fine then this started happening out of nowhere thanks for all the replies please feel free to give any advice it’s all appreciated

Old 05-31-22, 01:06 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
Is this a dedicated irrigation well or is it also used to supply water to your house?

Old 06-02-22, 04:58 AM
A
Received 278 Upvotes on 254 Posts
Note: If you let air out of the pressure tank to check for waterlogging or other reason, you have to put it all back in before the system will operate properly (unless per chance the pressure tank was overpressurized to start with).

You will need to describe how the pressure gauge is behaviing for 60 seconds before a click through 60 seconds after the click, while the sprinklers are running. Normally there will be two different behaviors, alternating with each click. (Your description after a click can stop short of 60 seconds if the next click occurs sooner.)

This description may reveal problems with your well pump and system.

Old 06-02-22, 12:52 PM
D
Well

The well is only for the irrigation..I’d say every 5-10 seconds it drops pressure ..It’s weird like the normal pressure seems to be like a lot but when the pressure drops it seems like that’s still kind of a normal level during the normal pressure and when it drives it’s still shooting a pretty good distance in both stages

Old 06-02-22, 02:58 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
It sounds like you are seeing the pressure changes as the pump cycles on and off. Irrigation only water systems can act funny if not properly sized/balanced. Usually you want the irrigation to take more water than the pump can provide. That way the pump runs continuously. If the pump provides more water than can be used it turns on and off as needed and you see the pressure rise and fall. A properly sized (large) pressure tank can help moderate the pressure swings. The pressure will still swing through the same range but the period will be much longer and more subtle (many people don't even notice).

You can adjust the pressure switch to a narrower range. This will make the pressure stay in a smaller range but will cause the pump to cycle on and off more frequently which isn't good for it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: