Sump pump cover problems

Old 06-25-22, 01:48 PM
I
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Sump pump cover problems

The rim of our sump pump is damaged. We can't get the lid on, even if we manage to pound it in more than what the photo shows it comes off when stepped on. What can we do?

Top Answer

06-27-22, 04:39 AM
Pilot Dane
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
Maybe you consider something else for a cover. If you are just looking to prevent someone from stepping into the sump you just need "something" over it.

Old 06-26-22, 05:04 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Get it in place then use some 3" stainless steel screws around the perimeter, screwed through the lid into the pit body. Dont torque them very much.

Old 06-26-22, 07:55 AM
I
Thanks for your reply.

It is so difficult to pound the lid in, we can't even get it firmly seated in place. We'd be screwing a cocked-eyed lid into a damaged rim. We'd still have a heck of a time getting the lid on and off? We normally don't need to access it that often...but when we do ay caramba! Other ideas?

Old 06-26-22, 08:45 AM
P
Group Moderator
It looks like you need to replace the sump. Or, give up on the cover fitting neatly in place.

Old 06-26-22, 11:35 AM
Received 59 Upvotes on 53 Posts
If the thing is not warped out of shape you can try this fix. Cut the top down flush with that top flange showing on the top of your picture. Cut it that same height all the way around. Place the lid with the flat spots at the slotted areas then turn it counter clockwise to lock it under the flange. If it has been warped you might try digging around the thing so it has more room to shape up when the lid is on. Refill around it after the lid is in place.

Old 06-26-22, 03:00 PM
I
Badeye....I was thinking along the lines of something like this, fingers crossed.

Pilot Dane.....it's gotten so bad I worry someone, my gardener, one of our large dogs, might step on it and hurt themselves. It's close to the side of the house where our sprinkle controller is, I stepped on it and the lid didn't say on, I didn't get hurt.

Old 06-27-22, 04:39 AM
P
Group Moderator
Maybe you consider something else for a cover. If you are just looking to prevent someone from stepping into the sump you just need "something" over it.

CircuitBreaker, izzie voted this post useful.
Old 06-27-22, 11:34 AM
Received 59 Upvotes on 53 Posts
As you can see from the picture the lid is made to lock down. there are 4 places that lock under the rib. You can see one at the bottom of the lid picture. you put it in place where the slots line up with where there is no top ridge then spin it to lock it down. Sounds simple but some people do not know this is how the lid is supposed to work.
Worse case you could cover it with a concrete square. I don't know who would sell such a square of concrete. You may have to pour your own.

Old 06-27-22, 12:11 PM
P
Group Moderator
Most towns have a septic tank manufacturer. They often sell other items like plastic risers & lids which you can try to adapt to yours. They also make concrete lids of various sizes. Or, you can make a wood cover or decorative wishing well or dog house.

izzie voted this post useful.
Old 06-27-22, 03:47 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 276 Upvotes on 252 Posts
Is the pipe inside interfering with the cover? Maybe if you turn the cover before putting it down the ridges in the cover will clear the pipe and the cover will fit better..

izzie voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: