New sump pit liner

Old 07-14-22, 11:29 AM
Received 663 Upvotes on 586 Posts
New sump pit liner

Im getting quotes for new sump pit liner. So far pricing is within $100 from two quote. Getting one more on Monday.

The work involves
Chopping out concrete floor.
remove old collapsed liner.
Install new plastic sump croc (from old 12" dia to current 18" dia to meet codes), enlarge pit and gravel.
perforate sides of new liner* to allow surface water to drain from interior surface of floor.
add extensions to drains tiles from perimeter of house to enter pit.
backfill with crushed stone and top off surface with finished cement.

*one plumber will perforate sides and bottom and provide 4 of crushed stone at bottom and about 2 on all sides. This company is a large (largest) well known area wide plumbing service. Because of the condition of my current pit a special quote had to be made vs their standard liner repalcements.

*other quote will only perforate the sides of liner and not the bottom, citing that debris and mud will accumulate at bottom due to sump sucking up from bottom. Will provide about 2 of crushed stone at bottom for liner to rest on. This company is a father/son company in business for over 20 years. He claims my collapse is perhaps the worst he has seen.

Any opinion on which is better? Perforated bottom or not? At this point cost is not a factor.

Old 07-14-22, 11:54 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,415 Upvotes on 3,063 Posts
I've seen many pits with a solid bottom and just perforated sides.
They appear to work fine.

Their logic may be a bit flawed.... you'll get mud in the bottom of the liner whether or not the bottom is perforated. Some dirt gets in from the side and settles in the bottom anyway.

Typically a paver or several bricks are used to keep the pump off the bottom.

Norm201 voted this post useful.
Old 07-15-22, 09:15 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 250 Upvotes on 230 Posts
Perforated sides with some holes near the bottom will work just as well as with holes in the bottom.instead.

Old 07-15-22, 11:22 AM
C
Received 282 Upvotes on 232 Posts
Last month I had interior footer drain tiles installed to replace my failed exterior drains. At that time I had a new sump liner installed in a different location. My old liner was perforated on the sides and I used to scoop out the mud once or twice a year. The new one has no holes except where the drains enter. I asked the installer, a local guy that's been in business a long time, and he said the perforations weren't needed that the footer drains would take care of the water coming in through the foundation joint and any under slab water.

Old 07-15-22, 11:42 AM
CW, that was how my current liner is. No perferations and only the perimeter drain tiles empty into it. So far I've gotten two quotes and both want to perferate the sides (one wants to do the bottom also). I didn't ask them directly but it seems it might be code in my area to be perferated to take care of any inside water that the footer drains don't.
I think PJ's assesment about mud getting into the pit regardless makes sense. And cleaning out the pit once or twice year might be the way to go. But on my current set up I never had to clean the bottom out. Apparently my ground water is filter out very well by the surrounding ground.

cwbuff voted this post useful.
Old 07-15-22, 06:11 PM
C
Received 282 Upvotes on 232 Posts
I won't know how well my new sump and drains work until we get some rain. We have been very dry so far this year.

Old 08-07-22, 08:57 AM
Follow-up.
So last week they installed the new sump pit liner. Because they just patched the hole with new cement, I did't get a real close look inside the pit. But when I did I noticed they did not cut out the holes for the drain tiles. The did in fact perferate the liner.
I called them and talked to the installer and mentioned it to them.
He said that the system will work, but he did not feel comfortable with it and would not want that in his house. He is scheduling a date to rip it all out and start over.
He told that when he went to the truck, his helper started to back fill the liner with stone and it was too late before he noticed. In fact he didn't really realize it until I called.
At least they are willing to fix their mistake. To me that is a good company!

Old 08-13-22, 04:21 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 250 Upvotes on 230 Posts
... did not cut out holes for the drain tiles ...

Certain kinds of trouble shooting will be easier if you see the drain tiles emptyi8ng into the pit which means the holes for the drain pipes have to be cut in the liner..

It is actually better if the drian tiles are not sealed around the pit liner hole unless dirt enters there.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: