Sewage Grinder Pump Setup

Old 08-02-22, 10:27 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sewage Grinder Pump Setup

I need some help on my sewer setup. I have an outdoor pavilion that has a bathroom. The bathroom sewage flows by gravity under the floor to a crock in the floor. I have a sealed unit grinder pump/macerator that sits in the bottom of the crock and is directly connected to the sewage line coming from the bathroom. The pump that flows though a 1" line buried in the ground to the basement of my house and then directly into my home septic system. The crock is not sealed as the sewage flows directly into the sealed macerator. The output of the pump is on the top of the unit and must do a 90 degree turn to connect the the 1" line. The line is 1" because that was what was specified for the pump and the length of the run is around 180' with a rise of less than 5'.

In two years I have went through 4 pumps. At this point I am thinking it would be best to seal the crock and install an unsealed grinder pump with a float switch. However, I would still have to connect it to the 1" line going to the house. I see that most of the pumps have a 2" output and I can't see restricting the flow down to 1" from there.

Any suggestions? I have just had to many pump failures and need to find a better solution.

Thanks

Old 08-02-22, 02:45 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
Do you have a check valve in the system?

You can restrict the output side of a pump without harm. The new pump will have more capacity than needed but the small outlet pipe will not hurt it. You may need a vent/weep hole on the output side of the pump and before the check valve. This is a small hole about 3/16"-1/4" diameter drilled at an angle so it sprays back into the sump.

Old 08-03-22, 06:29 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Yes, I have a check valve right were the current pump connects to the pipe. I have not thought about the vent/weep hole.

Thanks

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: