Drain field or drain line issue?

Old 09-09-22, 04:41 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Drain field or drain line issue?

Hi everyone,

Our toilets have recently begun gurgling when someone is in the shower or when the washing machine is draining, and the tub drain in the bathroom furthest away from the septic system has backed up a bit during long showers. We had the septic system pumped last year and the cleanup washed out. The tech mentioned the drain field was draining well at that point.

We have got a lot of rain this year here in Florida, but we've had that in years past and never had these issues then. I'm thinking it's most likely a drain field issue coupled with a slightly higher water table, but it thought i would ask if anyone thought it could be a clog in the drain lines under the house. I recently checked the septic cleanup and it was clear with about an inch or two of clear water in it—maybe the water being there is indicative of the drain field not draining? The house, and septic system, is 20 years old this year.

Thanks.

Steve

Old 09-10-22, 12:09 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
the bathroom furthest away from the septic system has backed up a bit during long showers
If a line was plugged or crushed or the field saturated the symptoms would be the same, the water is just not draining.

Gong to take some digging to inspect what the field looks like. Saturated ground would indicate a field issue a camera inspection will let you know what the lines look like.

Old 09-10-22, 09:27 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
Gurgling can be caused by a clogged vent or a partially clogged drain pipe in the house. I would snake or auger the drain and vent lines to make sure they are clear.

Old 09-10-22, 05:34 PM
T
I haven't noticed any saturated soil at the drain field. I looked down the vents and they seemed clear, but that doesn't mean there couldn't be an obstruction past the bend.

Old 09-10-22, 11:04 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
I haven't noticed any saturated soil
Wouldn't necessary be at the surface, would need to dig down to the leach lines and see what that looks like!

Old 09-11-22, 12:52 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 422 Upvotes on 375 Posts
Gurgling can be caused by a clogged vent or a partially clogged drain pipe in the house. I would snake or auger the drain and vent lines to make sure they are clear.
I agree with Pilot Dane. Based on the gurgling, I wouldn't assume it's a septic issue. It sounds like a partial clog on the drain line.

The easiest way to tell would be to pull the cover off the septic tank and see if it's overfilled/overflowing. This will help determine whether the clogs are more on the drain side or the house side.

Old 09-11-22, 04:59 PM
A
Received 277 Upvotes on 253 Posts
After a few hours of no usage of water, the level of water in the septic tank should rest something like 9 inches below the underside of the septic tank top.

During or after heavy rain the leach field can be more inundated with water and it may take longer for the level in the septic tank to drop to that point.

Old 11-27-22, 10:06 AM
Extremely clogged drain

Our bath tub won't drain, Over a year now. Maybe ner landlord will hire a plummer.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: