how to replace ejector sump pump basin?

Old 10-04-22, 12:20 PM
M
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
how to replace ejector sump pump basin?

Hey guys, during the summer last year we put in a basin with a sump pump, bought both from Home Depot.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt...SF20/204733081

and a pump something like this

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt...DS75/308300784

but it never worked as it should as every now and then the pump would not eject and we would need to manually need to plug the pump directly into the AC Outlet. We replaced the same pump 2 times so 3 pumps total with same issue.

A plumber told me what we should have done was to get a matching set of basin and pump but now I am wondering what options we may have to replace that basin since that basin had concrete around it in order to replace it with a matching basin and pump set, any ideas please?

Old 10-04-22, 01:17 PM
Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts
What is the pump plugged into normally? You say you move the plug to a AC outlet to get it to work. How does the sewage get into your basin? From the top or side? Is the float on the side of the pump away from where the sewage come in so nothing interferes with the float moving freely?
Is the basin too small and the float on the pump rubs the side? Even when matching basin and pumps are installed I doubt people change both when the pump goes bad they would just replace the pump.

Old 10-04-22, 01:30 PM
C
Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts
If plugging the pump directly into the receptacle, bypassing the switch, causes the pump to operate then the problem is with the switch. Once you do that, do you then plug the pump back into the switch and it works OK for a while? If so, the problem is likely that the switch is hanging up on something (or the float is leaking and is waterlogged). (You can test this by manually pulling up the float with a stick or wire and seeing if the pump runs.) I can only imagine that the plumber told you to replace the basin because he/she thought the switch was hanging up and you need a bigger basin. But that basin should be fine for that pump unless the position of the drain line is holding the pump against the side of the basin instead of centered.

If after you plug the pump directly into the receptacle and then back into the switch, it never operates normally again, then the switch is failing.

I suggest you buy a better pump, like a zoeller m53, and make sure it is positioned in the sump so the switch cannot hang up. Also, make sure the the switch isn't positioned under the pipe that is draining into the sump, as the flowing water can also prevent the float from rising.

Old 10-04-22, 06:18 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,169 Likes on 2,846 Posts
I'm not following..... that float switch is built into the pump so that there is no way to bypass it.
Taking the plug out and putting it back in should not change the electrical operation.

Is the pump dead..... no sound at all or is it running and not pumping ?
If it's running and not pumping.... and you're having the same problem over and over.... the pump is airbound.
You'll need to drill a small hole in the discharge line.
It's covered in the install manual.

The pit/basin has no effect on the pump operation.

Old 10-05-22, 08:18 AM
M
Yes guys, I just checked, it's the Everbuilt 9910 pump we've got, 3 of them:

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/eve...ump/1000803408

I understand what the plumber told me. If we had gotten a matching set [basin and pump] then there should be no issues.

The 3 pumps we tried were not dead. it was always the float of each pump was the problem which is why whenever we plugged the pumps directly into the AC receptacle, the pump works to drain the basin.

We had tried using a wire hanger to move the float around which would then work so we know the floats has issues with positioning in the basin and we had tried adjusting both the lengths and positions of the floats but nothing works "consistently", it would work one time then not another time.

The shower, bathroom sink and toilet are all located to the left of where the basin is. We do not want to buy another pump then end up in the same situation.

Old 10-05-22, 09:49 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,628 Likes on 1,461 Posts
I'm curious why you keep purchasing the same "store brand" pump that is repeatedly failing. Store brands aren't generally known for high quality so I'd switch to something else. You can't do any worse and there are several reputable brands with proven long life. I have one that is 22 years old and another about 18 that are still working without trouble.

Old 10-05-22, 09:57 AM
M
Well, we had thought it was either a mis-match of the pump and basin or setting of the pump in the basin or maybe both. We dd not purchase 3 pumps btw, only one but returned 2 of them thinking they might have been defective.

Old 10-05-22, 01:09 PM
Group Moderator
Apparently the sump is too narrow and the float is hitting the side.
You need a different float switch.

Old 10-05-22, 03:36 PM
M
Sorry not understanding, you mean the pump is too large or too small for that basin?

Can you link me to a specific float switch which I can try please?

Old 10-06-22, 05:45 AM
P
Group Moderator
Do you see how your pump has a float switch on the end of the cord. That needs room to freely float around without hanging up on the side of the pit. There are other designs where the float is mounted to a rigid rod and can only go straight up and down, reducing the chance that it will get caught on something. There are also solid state switches with no moving parts that can control a pump.

The following users liked this post:
Old 10-06-22, 06:01 AM
M
Because of the size of that basin, I cannot see that the float is being caught on something but without being able to see what's going on in the basin I have to think that yes that has to be it.

I never knew that Level guard existed, that should take care of it, THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!

Can you tell where on this pump it can that be attached please or should it be attached to the PVC ejector pipe and if yes how so it will not move up/down?

Old 10-06-22, 09:58 AM
P
Group Moderator
You just need to mount the switch somewhere it can sense the liquid level. It doesn't have to be on the pump. Keep in mind that for a device like Level Guard the motor cannot have it's own float switch. If it does you need to remove it and wire the pump so it runs continuously since the switch (Level Guard) will turn the power on and off to the pump. Also, there are other brands and styles. Level Guard is just the first photo I found.

Old 10-06-22, 10:21 AM
Group Moderator
To keep using your old pump with the new switch...tie the float up so that it thinks the pit is full.

Old 10-07-22, 12:52 PM
M
Sorry Pete I am not understanding, if I am using the level guard switch, I am thinking I will remove the pump's existing switch since it's not working?

@Pilot Dane

Would I need to get a plumber to "wire the pump"?

Old 10-08-22, 10:26 AM
P
Group Moderator
What he was saying is, instead of removing the switch just tie it in the up/on position. That will make the pump want to run all the time. Then plug the pump in the switched socket of the Level Guard to actually control the pump. This saves you the work of removing the float and possibly voiding the pump's warranty. It also means you don't risk damaging any waterproofing by removing the switch.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: