Water oozes out of sump pump enclosure

Old 02-06-23, 01:19 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Water oozes out of sump pump enclosure

My washing machine releases wastewater into a sink (see 1st pic) which then drains down into a basin enclosing a Little Giant 6-CIA-ML sump pump (see 2nd pic). The pump was replaced a few months ago. I've noticed that once in a while I see some water ooze out of the rubber grommet where the pump electric cord emerges (2nd pic). This water spills down to the basin flange and down to the concrete floor. What could be the cause for this and how can I fix it? Your comments and suggestions are appreciated.

Old 02-06-23, 03:09 PM
Received 1,111 Upvotes on 1,010 Posts
I see some water ooze out of the rubber grommet
So you have a leak! That is not a grommet, it is a cover and the seal, or grommet, for the cord is below the cover.

You would have to just pop that cover off and see what kind of seal is below, might be something that can be tightened up, or worst case replaced.

Old 02-06-23, 03:52 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,776 Upvotes on 1,588 Posts
My guess is that the sump is simply filling with water. Normally the sump would not be allowed to fill that high. Either water is entering faster than it can be pumped out, or the pump startup/prime sequence is slow enough to allow the chamber to fill before it starts pumping.

Old 02-07-23, 06:17 PM
A
Marq and Pilot Dane,

The part I'm calling the grommet is also known as the cord grommet according to the WRSC-6 basin parts diagram. In addition there is grommet built into the 6-CIA-ML sump pump itself. Regardless, I've pried off the cover/grommet several times to watch the action. I've seen the pump jump into action soon after water starts flowing into the basin. The pump keeps up with the pumping action without the water level getting too high. The water oozes out only one time out of 10 and I haven't been able to catch the errant event when looking inside with the cover/grommet removed.

Old 02-08-23, 06:10 AM
Received 672 Upvotes on 595 Posts
What kind of actuator is used to start the pump? Float or pressure? I suspect it's possibly damaged and/or defective and is on its way out.
It may still be within warranty. Check it out!

Old 02-08-23, 10:29 AM
A
Norm, it is a pressure actuator. Is there a way to test the actuator? If I have proof, it'll be easier to make a warranty claim.

Old 02-08-23, 11:50 AM
I suspect that when the unit is closed (not open) the rush and pressure of water forces (may or may not be connected to a faulty switch) the leak at the only place that is possible. When you have the unit open to see it and test it there is no pressure to seek an opening since it's already open to the surrounding area. You can't very well prove it other than the fact that it leaks. You shouldn't have to "prove" it. It should not leak.
However, you might want to "test" by using something like silicone glue or maybe JB Weld to try and seal the leak section. But you may have trouble making the material stick.
I would call the manufacturer first and explain what's happening.

Old 02-08-23, 05:51 PM
A
After my period of observation with cover/grommet open, I closed it. The washing machine has now been running with the cover/grommet closed. The issue hasn't recurred yet. It is one time out of 10. I should also mention that the grommet does have a slight gap between it and the cord, which would equalize the air pressure outside and inside.

Old 02-09-23, 04:31 AM
equalize the air pressure outside and inside.
I don't think so. If it were true, then why not have a designed vent hole at the top to relive pressure? If this was a finished living space, you would not tolerate even a small leak. Again, contact the manufacturer. Seems to me that would come under warranty if material and workmanship.
If you decide to "live" with it, then I'll suggest you put an old rag or towel under for those rare occasions that it does leak.

Old 02-09-23, 04:32 AM
P
Group Moderator
If you don't have a vent on the sump it's not surprising some water is getting out. Without a vent the sump becomes slightly pressurized when the washer drains and the air blows out around the grommet. All it takes is a little splashing and the moving air can blow some water out of the sump.

Old 02-09-23, 04:36 AM
But the open drain should compensate for a vent. Keep in mind the unit has no designed in vent (that we know of).

Old 02-09-23, 04:37 AM
My daughter has one and it does not leak. My son has one to be installed but there is no evidence of a vent within the casing.

Old 02-09-23, 04:59 AM
Received 1,111 Upvotes on 1,010 Posts
So I had one like this 4 houses ago so memory is vague. The cover is just a cover not intended to be anything that creates a water tight seal.

Inside the black housing the pump and motor assembly exists, the water is coming from something in there, a seal around the pump, where the cord enters the motor, or one of the connections to the pipes, it could even be a leak at the bottom of the tub and running down the pipe into the unit.

If your intent to seal it your going to have to wait till you can see water and start taking it apart to find where the leak is at and depending on what you find get is sealed up.

Old 02-09-23, 06:50 AM
I stand corrected. All sump pumps need a vented system.
"Does a laundry sink pump need a vent?
The packaged sink pump (basically a small sewer injector pump) needs a discharge line with a check valve. That is no problem. But it also it needs a vent line." This would be the small 45 hole pointing down drilled about 6" above into the discharge.
However, this refers to the pump itself and not necessarily the housing.
Now this begs the question, is the housing of the effluent pump sealed? Should it have a vent system?
​​​​​​​I'm confused.

Old 02-09-23, 07:48 AM
P
Group Moderator
"But the open drain should compensate for a vent."
The sink should have a trap that prevents it from acting as a vent. You cannot and should not dump a sink directly into a discharge sump without a trap because sewer gasses will vent into the home.

Old 02-09-23, 07:59 AM
So yes the casing or the pump housing does in fact have vent system. No pressure is involved.
At this point I'd say the "leak" just happens to be splash back. It should've been tight or sealed around the cord area. Seal it with silicone. Problem solved.

Old 02-17-23, 07:54 AM
A
For the last few days I have been engaged with a handyman for unrelated home improvement/repair projects. I'm now getting back to this thread and will try to answer all the questions raised.

The sink into which the washing machine discharges indeed has a U trap. There's also a bar sink in the other room, which also has a U trap. The discharge from both the sinks join together and flow into the basin/sump pump. Also, the pump is vented, see picture below. It joins the main vent in the attic and discharges out through the roof. Also, at installation time, I did drill a 45 degree hole in the pump water discharge to prevent air lock. In addition, a check valve is already in place. When I removed the cover/grommet to observe the action, the pump actuated at a relatively low water level. I did not observe water splash right up to the cover hole. I should also mention that no similar leakage occurred with the old pump (the same model) for 18 or so years I had put it into use. Previously there was no 45 degree hole and now there is.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: