smell from ejector pump

Old 01-14-24, 01:49 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
smell from ejector pump

so our basement has full bath and plumber installed 2 sump ejector pumps (one for gray and one black water)-
When the toilet is flushed and the black well sump kicks in you get pretty nasty smell. (toilet empty)- We had plumber come and reseal tank lids and check for leaks- it's better but you can still smell. The 2 pumps are located in a small closet like area (maybe 2' by 10')-will little ventilation (the pumps are both vented to the roof properly)- Thoughts on install a bathroom type exhaust fan in that small room where pumps are and vent to the outside?. Pretty easy to do with full access to outside wall and power etc- looking for opinions on if anyone thinks will improve the situation or make worse?

Old 01-14-24, 03:44 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,324 Upvotes on 2,067 Posts
There is a leak somewhere letting the sewer gas escape. I also question if the venting was done properly.

Do you get any smell (sewer gas release) when flushing the toilet and the pump does NOT turn on?

Can you provide some pictures of the sumps and the piping connected to it. Also, trace where the pipes coming out of the sump go to.

Let's save the vent fan as "plan B". You really shouldn't have sewer gas escaping so we need to find out why. Also, if the gas is escaping it is possible there could be liquids leaking out as well so it's best to do the work and find out why your getting the smell.

Old 01-14-24, 05:22 PM
S
Thanks- i will test again- I don't believe there is any smell unless the toilet is flushed. I will snap some pics. Each sump pit has a vent that connects just above where the 4" main exits house (which i understand is called a "wet" vent. I agree with your last statement about finding source- I was hoping to at least make it more comfortable down there until we can isolate it.

Old 01-15-24, 05:23 AM
P
Group Moderator
Do you get any smell (sewer gas release) when flushing the toilet and the pump does NOT turn on?

Old 01-15-24, 06:04 AM
S
no

Old 01-16-24, 07:06 AM
S
any other thoughts? any negative for putting exhaust fan in?

Old 01-16-24, 08:06 AM
P
Group Moderator
Still waiting to hear about the plumbing and hopefully some pictures.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: