Dirty water in well

Old 02-14-24, 05:59 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Dirty water in well

After a really heavy rainfall my water is alittle dirty. Was told that my pump is to close to the bottom that when it rains hard for a couple of day it steers the mud on bottom l was told to cut about 10 feet off my water line so my pump won’t be near the bottom, is he right

Old 02-14-24, 06:10 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 874 Upvotes on 765 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

How deep is your well?

Old 02-14-24, 06:40 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,310 Upvotes on 2,055 Posts
What type of well do you have? Is it a large diameter dug well, or a smaller diameter bored well, or a driven sand point?

How old is your well?

If you have a well casing what is it made of?

"...is he right"
Sorta.

The most common well type is a drilled well, usually 4-6" diameter. In many cases I believe the root cause is the well casing. Done properly you have a casing grouted solid all the way to bedrock. That prevents any surface water from entering the well and insures clean, clear water no mater what the weather. If that well casing is too short, rusted through heavy rain, surface water and mud can enter the well.

Over time this mud being washed in slowly fills the well from the bottom up. Eventually the pump will start picking up crud from the bottom. Raising the pump can help some but it can take many hours/days for the dirt in muddy water to settle to the bottom. During that time you'll still get dirty water even if the pump is raised.

Old 02-14-24, 04:05 PM
C
Received 351 Upvotes on 294 Posts
I have a drilled well at 220'. I think my pump is at 200'. During heavy rainstorms my water will sometimes be discolored for a day or so due to groundwater and silt settling into the well from the false water table. I don't think that it has a lot to do with pump position. I'm not sure that raising the pump will fix that and it may cause problems during dry periods when the water table is lower.

A whole house filter and RO filter takes care of it.

Old 02-19-24, 04:04 PM
R
Well

my is 6 inches and about 120 ft deep

Old 02-19-24, 06:23 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,310 Upvotes on 2,055 Posts
I would contact a reputable well drilling company to have your well inspected. Your water quality should not change after a rain. If you have a steel casing it might have rusted through and need to be lined which is installing plastic/PVC sleeve inside your existing casing to block surface water from entering the well.

There are other possible scenarios but without knowing more it is just guessing. A professional will be able to advise you of what's going on and your options.

marksr voted this post useful.
Old 05-13-24, 06:08 AM
M
Lightbulb Shallow Well Liner for Casing Seam Failure

A professional inspection of our 50 year old 30" wide by 20' deep shallow/dug well revealed that "dirty" water after heavy rains was caused by the cement seams of the well casing deteriorating. Their solution was to dig a deep well elsewhere on the property. What we did instead was to reline our well with a 24" x 20' corrugated HDPE pipe from Consolidated Pipe & Supply. Water remains plentiful, clear and sweet after several storms since then. If interested, here are the steps: 1) To recover full well depth from years of sediment build up, get an inline pump and PVC connectors for pump, as well as drain cover for business end (to prevent any large debris from entering). On the discharge end of the inline pump, attach enough PVC to reach the bottom of the well and an elbow at the top to direct discharge. Turn on the pump, then minimally lift, move and drop the business end to suck out sediment. None of our connections failed, but be sure to properly glue PVC in place. -- To skip this step, just raise your foot value to at least 1' above current well depth. 2) Turn off well pump and hot water heater circuit breakers, then remove existing foot value and downpipe. We put our extension ladder in well for easy access. 3) Measure well depth to takeoff line into house and cut the HDPE pipe to just below that depth. Also cut 4 vertical lines along the length of the pipe through the corrugation only to help it fill with water and minimize float. 4) Insert the HDPE pipe into the well, again taking care to protect the intake line to your house. Get all of your strong friends for this - we are elderly and managed it with a winch on the back of our truck and help of our son and his wife, but it was pretty hard. 5) Use extension ladder again to insert bolts into well interior wall at top of pipe while a helper uses a 2x4 to hold it down from floating. Use power hammer to correct depth after checking wall thickness so that you don't penetrate it. 6) Reinstall foot value with downpipe. 7. Reprime your well pump. Our quote for new well was $15,000 to $20,000, so this was well worth the effort to us.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: