Irrigation Pump HELP! - Berkeley SSHM-2

Old 04-18-24, 04:14 PM
F
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Irrigation Pump HELP! - Berkeley SSHM-2

Berkeley SSHM-2 230V 1P pump been running great. Today the PVC outlet pipe thread failed and it disconnected spewing water all over the pump. The pump has a plywood cover that probably helped retain some water and im certain pump was not overly soaked. I was very near when this happened and turned switch off quick and the pump shut off. I repaired the pipe etc. and when I flipped the pump back on nothing happened. I got side tracked and about 5 hours later I got a chance to check the disconnect and one leg was blown. I replaced it and hit the switch and it blew again. I haven't been able to look at again but hope to tomorrow. I thionk the start/run solenoids could have gotten some moisture- would that cause them to blow?

Old 04-19-24, 05:55 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,221 Upvotes on 1,982 Posts
Yes, it is very likely that the motor got wet. The enclosure probably contained and redirected the spraying water making sure that the motor got a good soaking. It looks like that motor is open vented at least on the bottom third. While running water could have gotten sucked in and splashed and slung around.

FairwayFatty voted this post useful.
Old 04-19-24, 01:35 PM
F
I think iis fairly well sealed motor and it looks dry but i guess except the worst.
I Verified 125V per leg at the pump connection at water source so i have full power to the pump.
Hauled the motor up to my shop but I don't know how to troubleshoot any further than the bullets below.
If anyone has any insight on these results or suggest other tests I'd appreciate it.
  1. Checked Farad on start and run caps and they are both near perfect.
  2. Connected power to motor and nothing happens.
  3. Checked continuity from ground lead to each hot lead on plug and no continuity
  4. Checked continuity from hot lead to hot lead and have continuity
  5. Checked ohm from ground lead to each hot lead on plug and no continuity
  6. Checked ohm from hot lead to hot lead and measure 1.1 ohm
Also - Can this motor be rebuilt?

Last edited by FairwayFatty; 04-19-24 at 01:45 PM.
Old 04-19-24, 01:52 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,046 Upvotes on 3,630 Posts
99% chance you have a supply issue.
Confirm 240v across the hot terminals.

If your motor had a cap or starting problem it would just hum. You couldn't miss it.
If you do have 240v..... check the thermal overload. (red arrow) It should be closed.

FairwayFatty voted this post useful.
Old 04-19-24, 03:25 PM
F
as mentioned I have 125v on each leg.to the motor. Is that not the same as verifying 240v at Motor?. Otherwise I donít know how to test for that. Iíll check the overload relay tomorrow.
thanks for the help

Old 04-19-24, 03:48 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,046 Upvotes on 3,630 Posts
Depends where you check it.

You told us you had continuity across the motor lines. That means if you were to apply 120v to one leg.... it would automatically show up on the other leg. Your test would show 120v on each leg except that it's the same 120v on both terminals.

Whenever you are working with a 240v appliance or device.... you must measure the actual 240vac.

Old 04-19-24, 07:29 PM
F
I have it hard wired now with a much better connection.
When i flip it on motor definitely hums. Verified 125V to each leg. I tried to video but i only got one leg as by the time i flipped it off and swapped my meter leads to continue the video the motor tripped the overload relay kicked "open". The overload really as well as the whole motor case was hot to touch. When the relay cooled down i heard it click (but motor case still fairly hot). I then turned power on again and motor hummed so i immediately flipped power off before it tripped again. I checked the capacitors and they are good so maybe the motor or hopefully the impeller is seized (i have spares for that).
I'll try and pull the impeller side of tomorrow and see if the motor will spin.

Old 04-20-24, 08:58 AM
F
Pulled the end cap off of the impeller side and I could turn motor shaft but with some resistance. Pulled the impeller stack and removed the motor from the cast iron base. Motor shaft turned smooth and free. Reconnected temp. power and motor seems to run fine with no issues. The impellers are made of a plastic and some were deteriorated and chipped. There were a few factors from different angles that I guess compounded to a point the motor couldn't turn with the impeller issue. Glad the motor is in working condition and I hope the impeller kit I bought a couple years ago is all I need to get the pump in service.

Here is a youtube link- let me know if you hear anything unusual (some noise from the
https://youtu.be/HSkffytpx_Y

Last edited by FairwayFatty; 04-20-24 at 09:10 AM. Reason: correction
Old 04-21-24, 06:10 AM
F
Ive had the motor running on the bench for about an hour. Operating temperature is holding ~125F and 247V

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: