Waste water holding tank issues

Old 04-22-24, 10:31 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Waste water holding tank issues

Bought an older cottage which has a waste water holding tank, but notice all my water drains, other the waste water is connected to go down my Sump pump, which means I can go longer without the need to dump my holding tank. Was this normal back in the day and should I change all the drains to flow into my holding tank along with waste water.

Mod note: separated from Waste"grey" water running into sump pump pit !! Why?

Last edited by PJmax; 04-23-24 at 02:09 PM.
Old 04-23-24, 10:29 AM
A
Received 286 Upvotes on 261 Posts
I have a strong enough opinion on the subject so as not to wait until the preceding post author creates a brand new 2024 vintage thread on the subject.

I suggest that the gray water (sinks, laundry) continue to be put into the sump pit as grandfathered and only the toilet water (black water) go to the holding tank that is much more expensive to pump out when it fills up.

Yes the gray water will wear out the sump pump faster than plain water or ground water due to laundry lint and detergents. But that maintenance will not be as expensive as more frequent pump outs of the holding tank.

In many towns and cities a new 2024 plumbing system (also some of slightly earlier vintage) will require that the gray water also be treated as sewage and not put into the sump pit or be discharged onto the ground surface.

Sump pump water (ground water and gutter water and French drain water) must not be put into septic tanks let alone sewage holding tanks.

Last edited by AllanJ; 04-23-24 at 10:41 AM.
Old 04-23-24, 02:11 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,059 Upvotes on 3,642 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Dredging up old threads can cause confusion.
I started you your own thread and you can refer back to the original via the link I left.

Old 04-23-24, 07:27 PM
F
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the response. I was also informed that since the Grey water is draining down the Sump pit that I should replace my sump pump with a sewage pump as they can break down food and detergent better. Can you just swap out the Sump dump with a sewage pump or does it require a different install infrastructure then the sump punt. I was also told that sewage pump don’t work as well for flooding issues as a sump pump. I’m on lake front

Old 04-24-24, 05:55 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,236 Upvotes on 1,995 Posts
If you have a sump pump and it is dealing with ground water then you will need two separate sumps. Your original sump pump probably can remain, just with the gray water diverted to discharge into another sump. The new sump should use a sewage type pump. The gray water pump would not see "flooding issues" water so it's maximum pumping capacity isn't an issue.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: