Float switches..

Old 05-24-24, 02:26 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Float switches..

Hello. I have a 3 float system. 2 not counting alarm. The pump had not worked with floats for the last 3 years. Pump finally died so I got a new one. Also got new floats. As the old ones were bad. I copied it the way it was to a t. The pump will not turn on with the floats. I tried plugging a light into the pigtail and it wouldn't work. Is the brand new floats bad?? Do they need to be in water to test them as I'm doing this outside while there dry.. the wires are a mess I didn't tie em up as I wanted to make sure it worked first. Thank you1

Old 05-24-24, 02:40 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,271 Upvotes on 2,023 Posts
If you have three switches I assume you have a control box. You need the correct type switches for your box. Have you verified that your control box is working properly?

There are different types of floats. Some the switch is normally open (NO) while others are normally closed (NC) but most are "on" when the float is hanging down with the cord above and "off" when the is in the up position with the cord facing down.

Old 05-24-24, 08:56 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,111 Upvotes on 3,692 Posts
Not only are there different function floats..... some (most) are rated for low current use.
They are designed to control power relays which power the pump.

If you tried running the pump thru a low current float..... it would now be open/blown.

Old 05-25-24, 06:20 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I know it's rated ast 120v. I got them from the plumbing company that installed them to begin with. I do t believe there is a control board it just plugs into a outlet.

Old 05-26-24, 12:17 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,111 Upvotes on 3,692 Posts
You have three floats.
The alarm float is normally open and when it's tripped it closes sounding an audible.

The other two floats are high level...... turn on pump and low level turn off pump.
Can't see how two floats could work without a controller.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: