electric utility pump.....output question

Old 05-27-24, 01:49 PM
U
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
electric utility pump.....output question

DIY Forum brain trust-

I purchased an electric pump (see pics below) for emergency use in case my sewage pump or sump pump failed and I had to pump water out of the pits. Unfortunately a few days ago, I had a pump fail, and I had to drop this electric utility pump into the pit to pump the water out. I attached a garden hose to the pump, submerged the pump, plugged it in, and let it do it's thing until the pit emptied......which took about 1.5 hours for just a regular sized sewage pit (maybe 24" diameter and maybe 4' deep).

The box says this pump should pump about 34 gallons per minute with a 5' lift, and my lift was only maybe 4 feet. So I was expecting some pretty good flow from this pump. However, the flow out of the pump was pretty feeble, maybe 1 gallon per minute if I had to guess coming out the garden hose on the other end.

Is that just what one expects from a pump like this? Why was my flow so feeble? Defective pump?

Thanks

P.S. for some reason my pics of the pump box aren't showing up. this is the pump:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Superior...1250/204589831

Last edited by PJmax; 05-27-24 at 05:58 PM. Reason: pics hosted/posted PJmax
Old 05-27-24, 05:44 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 288 Upvotes on 263 Posts
Is the bottom of the pit dirt? You may nied to lift the pump off the bottom an inch or two so water can circulated underneath and be drawn up into the pump.

ualdriver voted this post useful.
Old 05-27-24, 06:02 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,111 Upvotes on 3,692 Posts
The stated discharge output is based on using a 1-1/4" line.

ualdriver voted this post useful.
Old 05-27-24, 09:54 PM
U
Oh OK, so that garden hose is that much of a restriction. I'll look for a bigger hose. Thanks.

Old 05-28-24, 08:24 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,271 Upvotes on 2,023 Posts
What are you pumping? Sewage or clear water? That is a clear water pump and the fine slits on the bottom and impeller could be clogging if trying to pump sewage.

I would take your pump's specs with a grain of salt. That is possibly the cheapest pump you can find so I expect it's specs to be optimistic at best. the 3/4" garden hose is definetely slowing the flow somewhat.

Old 05-28-24, 09:05 AM
U
It was a sewage pit but I was pumping water discharge from my water softener so it was clear water pretty much. Yeah you're right it was a cheaper pump just for emergency use. I found a wider discharge line that screws into it so will buy that.

Thmaks for the advice everyone

​​
​​
​​

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: