Concern about well or pump

Old 06-09-24, 10:47 AM
T
Received 112 Upvotes on 100 Posts
Concern about well or pump

We had intermittent water pressure issues resulting in a new pump / switch installed 3 weeks ago. Today we started having similar issues again but now it's frequent. Our water pressure goes quickly to zero (or close to zero) with the water running for 2-3 minutes or the washing machine running. When the faucet / washer is turned off pressure quickly returns, but only to 40-46 PSI although the switch is 40/60. Then, with the faucet / washer back on the cycle continues. Thus, we have water for small volume use like washing or toilet, but not for large amounts. Also, I'm downstairs when we do this and don't hear the well pump or switch turn on and off. Finally, we now have a lot of new sediment in the filter housing - see the photo.

I'm concerned the problem is either the pump not producing sufficient pressure, or the well volume is low.

Thoughts, please.

Old 06-10-24, 04:17 AM
Group Moderator
Received 262 Upvotes on 213 Posts
I assume you've changed out the filter cartridge? One of our water experts should be along with more insight. Can you expand on how your system is setup, i.e. components and locations, age, etc? Is your pressure tank properly pre-charged? As you mentioned, I might suspect an issue with the well.

Old 06-10-24, 04:53 AM
T
The filter was changed when the new pressure tank and switch were installed 3 weeks ago. The filter was mostly clean until the weekend, so the sediment shown in the photo is recent - during the past 2-3 days. Everything inside is new except the softener which is 3 years old and is after the filter. The pressure tank is a new composite Flex-Lite FL-17 50 gallon. Everything else between the hose coming in and the filter housing is also new including the 60/40 switch. I have no information on the tank recharging nor the well pump which was here when we bought the house 10 years ago. The person who installed the tank has been in the area for many years.

Old 06-10-24, 05:07 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,265 Upvotes on 2,018 Posts
What type of pump do you have?

Old 06-10-24, 06:41 AM
T
I know almost nothing about the pump except that it's submersible and at least 10 years old. I assume it's either 1/2 or 3/4 hp because the breaker is 20 amp so it can't be larger. I know the well is 140' but don't know the pump depth. There was no test done prior to replacing the tank so I don't know the pump's GPM.

Old 06-10-24, 07:11 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,265 Upvotes on 2,018 Posts
"...resulting in a new pump / switch..."
I mistook and thought you also had a new pump and switch installed.

The first thing to understand is that the pressure tank does not pump water nor does it create pressure. It's only job is to prevent the pump from turning on and off too frequently. So, for now you don't have to worry about it.

Often if you listen at the pressure switch or pressure tank you can hear the pump humming. When the water stops flowing in the house go see if you can tell if the pump is running. If it is it can indicate that the well is out of water or that you are pumping water out faster than it is flowing into the well.

It's not a good sign that you got a bunch of sediment in the filter. Looking at the sediment can tell you where it came from. If it's rust then the pipe down the well or the pipe to the house may be badly corroded and need replacing. If it's chunks of rock it can mean that a section of the well has collapsed dumping sand & rock into the well.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: