Septic field bull run valve pipe has water in it

Old 07-07-24, 05:35 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Septic field bull run valve pipe has water in it

I had my house built about 23 years ago, a two field septic system was installed per county regulations.

I alternate the drain fields once a year and have never had any problems. This year when I went to change / alternate the field and looked down into the 4-foot pipe I saw water / liquid. I put the valve wrench down the pipe and figured there was about an inch of water standing at the bottom of the pipe. *Yes, I smelled the bottom of the valve wrench, and it was stinky). I don't notice any other signs that would indicate backup (water in the yard) slow toilets, or back up, etc.

I have lived alone in the house for about 15 years and two people have lived here the last 7. I do not have a disposal unit, and I have never had the septic system pumped or needed maintenance. There is primarily sandy soil where I live.

My question is, what's going on? Do I need to have this pumped? Or, by changing the field have I given the other field a chance to rest and rejuvenate? I'm sure if I call a septic company, they will want to do something, which I'm fine with, but don't want them if I don't need them.
Thanks for your help.

Old 07-08-24, 05:29 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,319 Upvotes on 2,064 Posts
Water underground is common and those underground areas often fill with water. It likely has more to do with recent weather/rain than your septic system.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: