Sand in Well water filter

Old 05-13-02, 07:07 PM
Lambo
Visiting Guest
Sand in Well water filter

Last year our water pump died. We replaced it and replace many of the water pipes that go to the water storage tank as the galvanized pipes were corroded with the heavy iron content in our water. Soon after fixing the well pump we had alot of sand in our house filter that goes from the water storage tank to the water softener. We continued to fight the problem by replacing the filter. The problem did not quit until we shut down the sprinkler system for the winter. Over the winter we had a little sand but not too much. Once the spring hit and we started the sprinkler system up the sand problem returned with a vengance. We shut off the supply to the sprinkler system and are currently battling the sand problem again by changing the filter.

When we replaced the pump, the old pump was stuck in the well casing. We hd to put alot of muratic acid in the well to get the old pump out. We replace the old water line with new pvc and we replaced the electrical wires that feed the pump. When I talked to a well person he said we should blow out the well with an air compressor. We did not do this but instead pumped the water out to the street until it ran clear. This took about 20 minutes. We also put the new pump 4 feet lower in the well than the old pump was. I am wondering if the pump is too low or if the screen on the well casing could have been damaged by the acid we put in the well. We never had a sand problem before. The well person we spoke to thought the pump might be going on too often and instructed us to get a new storage tank. We did that right at the same time we shut down the sprinklers for the winter. This seemed to work until this spring when we turned on the sprinklers. I was thinking of shuting off the water to the house and hooking up a hose to the spicket outside connected to the sprinkler system and letting it run for a while to see if we could get the sand out that way. I am reluctent to do it if it is going to make the sand problem worse. What do think I should do.

Old 05-14-02, 07:22 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sand in well water filter

Lambo,
I'm assuming that the well pump also supplies the sprinkler system.
I'm thinking that the muratic acid probably either opened up the openings in the well screen, or possibly ate holes in the casing, allowing sand to enter the well bore. The question is why is there more sand in the water when the sprinklers are used? I believe the answer to that is the sprinkler system is probably your biggest demand on the well pump, causing the pump to run for extended periods. The longer the pump runs, the more sand is drawn into the well (the new pump probably has much more "suction power" than the old worn out pump). The sand problem would be less when there is just the normal use on the pump. The pump would run less and the sand would have more opportunity to settle out, before the pump had to run again.
The problem with the sand, of course, is that it's abrasiveness accelerates the wear on the pump. You can expect the pump life to be shortened considerably.
Consult with a reputable well and pump company. You may need to have some work done to the well to fix this problem.
Best regards,

Last edited by Shadeladie; 08-04-13 at 06:16 AM. Reason: Advertising is prohibited on forum!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: