Model railroad Buildings lighting

Old 07-22-07, 06:52 PM

What type of lighting is usually used for model railroad buildings?
I made some HO size buildings and I'd like to light them. So far I have used some small 12V bulbs & sockets with a plug in wall wart I got at Radioshack. An LED would work fine and it's cost effective but I'd like a white light, not colored. I really need only one light per building. What is normally used?
Suggestions.
SteveS

Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-07, 04:35 AM
Super Moderator
Model railroaders will use what they call a grain of wheat bulb.
For a very dim light two can be wired in series.

Old 07-23-07, 03:20 PM

In regards to HO scale railroad buildings lighting if you are accessible to a hobby shop, and they stock model railroad equipment, ask for "grain of wheat bulbs". They are white, but be advised that when they burn out, if they ever do, you have to rewire a new setup as they do not screw into sockets the last time I checked.

If you have no luck there, you could always go online and check with "www.modelrailroader.com" and perhaps you could order from one of their sponsors,

On a side note, i would be most interested in what material you made your buildings.

Old 07-23-07, 05:43 PM
That's why I didn't want to use the 'grain of wheat bulbs'. I can get them dirt cheap, but I'd probably have to glue them in. Replacing one would be quite a job.

Mostly I used 1/8" quality plywood that I get at a craft store. On larger bldgs I might use 1/4" but mostly 1/8.
I just completed a replica of my hometown's old train depot. (An old timer wants it real bad)
And I have a western theme set: saloon (complete with swinging doors), livery, gen store, hotel, church. Currently working on the jail. They're all 5-6".
They sure look cool lit up at night.