need ideas

Old 04-03-08, 11:17 PM
wwc
need ideas

I'm looking for ideas from anyone on what can be made from a round steel "coin" like shape slug, about the size between a quarter and half dollar and thin as a dime.

they are scrap and seem like a waste to throw them all away.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-08, 12:49 AM
  • Tile something with them. I've done that with pennies - it cost 306/sq.ft. Not a bad price compared to fancy tile.
  • Give each a half bend, and use as concrete aggregate. The shapes, packed densely, will yield exceptionally strong concrete.
  • Fuse them between two layers of plastic bag, in hot oven. Then what, I dunno.
  • Rust them in moist sawdust, then extract the oxide by pouring off sludge and boiling 'till dry. This is a masonry pigment, quite expensive to buy.

Old 04-04-08, 08:36 AM
wwc
thanks for the ideas.

I thought about making my own souvenir coins but i'm not having any luck finding a way to stamp them with a cool logo or saying, any ideas for that ?

Old 04-04-08, 11:45 PM
wwc
anyone have any more ideas?

Old 04-05-08, 03:56 AM
When I run across something that I am sure has a use of some sort besides recycling back into the raw material stream, I will just save a few in a container until my needs or ideas come along. My shop is loaded with such things and many have paid for themselves on many of my projects.
The real problem is the amount of storage area needed for
so many items you may come across and also finding them when you do have a idea.
I usually go thru my stock of odds and ends and reduce them every year or so. Making room for more junk...Ha ha

Old 04-08-08, 03:03 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
These are perfect to sew to the waistband of a belly dancing skirt!

Old 04-08-08, 04:47 PM
wwc
thanks connie, nice idea.
now to find some belly dancers who need some.

Old 04-11-08, 09:04 AM
A kindergarten or first grade teacher may like the metal slugs for teaching children to count. She might also put stickers on them and use them as part of an award system and spent in a classroom store. The slugs could be painted different colors and used as game tokens or painted black and red and used as checkers. When we were kids, we collected the slugs and pretended they were money.