Hummingbird feeder question

Old 08-31-08, 08:07 AM
H
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Hummingbird feeder question

which forum would I use to get answers to a bird feeder problem?

Old 08-31-08, 08:17 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
There's not really a specific thing. Probably gardening...but whats the question? It'll get moved if necessary. I think many folks look at "new posts", not just specific forums.

So, whats up?

Old 08-31-08, 09:01 AM
H
No birds

I bought a $43 Humming Bird feeder thats glass and metal. I bought the concentrate juice and nothing seems to visit it. What attracts them to it? Color? UV colors/design? They have visited a window box with impatients briefly.
It is hung on a wall bracket within 2 feet and at a height of 5 feet. I noticed the cheap plastic ones are bright yellow and red plastic... Is it too close to the window? I have it attached to the middle of the vinyl shutter, its on the North side of the house.

Old 08-31-08, 09:42 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
I've found the best thing is to start with the feeder away from the house at first. Best to try and put it near plants they may already be visiting if possible. Then as you get some hummers you can try moving it a little at a time.

They like to move from station to station, just like they do with real flowers, I guess it's just engrained in them. I've seen them go to all the stations on the feeders, even though they could just stay at one.

I have 2 feeders placed at opposite sides of the yard. Hummers are very territorial. 2 feeders gives others a chance to visit while the dominant one is busy.

I've seen different things on color. I tied lengths of flourescent pink masons string around the feeding stations of mine, it seems to make a diff.

We don't get too many as our yard is kind of bare right now til we finish all the renovations. But I have had them fly up to the feeder as I was carrying it back out after filling. 6" away from my face....wow!

Here's a pretty good link...
http://www.hummingbirds.net/about.html

Natural plants to attract them and patience I think.

Good luck...I love hummers!

Old 08-31-08, 04:45 PM
C
Received 350 Upvotes on 293 Posts
HVAC - We've ben feeding hummingbirds for years. I have 4 feeders hanging from deck posts. At any given time we'll have 5-6 hummingbirds buzzing around. I see you are located in Mass. It may be too late in the year to attract a group to your feeders. I'm in nearby CT and they show up in mid spring and are usually gone by mid fall.

Everything that Gunguy said is true. I'll only add that you are wasting your money on store bought hummingbird food. Make your own. Just dissolve 1 part sugar in 4 parts water.

I have a couple of expensive fancy designer hummingbird feeders that we've received as gifts. I have never had a hummingbird visit one. They're in the garage somewhere.
We use the inexpensive ($10) glass and red plastic feeders with bright yellow feeding stations. We have hanging plants on our deck and I just hang the feeders near the plants.

Once you get them coming to your feeders be prepared for lots of entertainment. They are very territorial and very aggressive. It's like watching fighter planes with feathers. They are also very inquisitive and will hover inches from your face trying to figure out what you are.

Old 09-01-08, 04:29 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
CW, I was told the F15 tail configuration was designed using the hummingbird? Like you, I sit on the porch and am entertained by the little fellas. Look closely and note how their tail feathers rotate to keep them in position. Too cool. Also, if you want to photograph them, it will take a shutter speed of 1/1000th of a second to stop them in mid wing movement.

Old 09-01-08, 04:35 AM
H

Thanks for the great info... I guess I'll have to try again next year....

Old 09-02-08, 06:05 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
hvac01453: Be patient. The birds will eventually find your feeders.

I have made the mistake of buying a fancy hand blown glass feeder. It only worked when filled all the way to the top and once the birds drank the fluid fluid down a bit they could not reach it even though the feeder was 90% full.

When I put up my first feeder it took 2-3 months before I noticed the first bird. Now after 3 years I am putting about 12-16 ounces into each (I have 5) feeder every day. They look like a swarm of bees sometimes and they turn into an angry swarm when I bring a feeder in for cleaning & filling. They will start eating from the feeder while I still have it in my hand and trying to hang it up.

It is slightly eerie to have the little buggers looking into the windows of the house. We have a "toilet room" in our master bath and it has a round window above the toilet. I cannot tell you how many times I've gone in to stand at the toilet and a little bird hovers into the window and stares! and then chirps annoyingly as if to say "hurry up in there and come fill the feeder..."

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: