Metal casting

Old 09-05-08, 11:08 PM
Metal casting

Hi Guys,
I am trying to cast some items for my 4WD, and I was wondering if anyone Knew the the limitations of using gysum plaster, to construct my moulds.

I am aware of green sand moulding etc, but the part i need to make has to be repeated a number of times, therefore I need a semi permanent mould.

The metal I am casting is Aluminimum, so it would need to withstand temps in the order of 1200 degrees.

Any ideas ??

Norm

Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-08, 11:07 AM
Norm,

I'm not sure that a permanent mold material exists. The materials that I'm familiar with break down during casting, the heat destroys it. You might be better off by making a silicone mold from a master. Subsequent pieces would be made from that silicone mold.

jerry

Old 09-07-08, 06:30 PM
Group Moderator
I make a plaster cast of what I want to copy then a urethane positive and then the sand casts are made of the urethane master.

Old 09-07-08, 08:20 PM
Originally Posted by Pilot Dane View Post
I make a plaster cast of what I want to copy then a urethane positive and then the sand casts are made of the urethane master.

I do something similar however I use investment rather than sand. I do lost wax casting in my jewelry biz.