making & mounting new cabinet doors

Old 04-02-10, 07:22 AM
making & mounting new cabinet doors

Hi,
I wasn't sure which forum was the "right" one, but here goes...I'm trying to duplicate a wall-hung cabinet that I saw somewhere. I'm actually using a wooden bookase with 4 fixed shelves that I will hang horizontally. I'm going to paint it a high gloss white to look like laminate and I want to attach cabinet doors (5) with glass inserts. I was wondering if I could use ready-made picture frames for each one. They basically look like doors when placed in a row. I'd like to use metal frames but I'm not sure how to attach them. Maybe wooden frames would be easier. I'm going for the european style frameless look so I'll use concealed hinges. Any thoughts/advice out there on this project??

Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-10, 01:36 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'd be leery of a picture frame. I doubt the frame itself would be stout enough to handle being used as a cabinet door.

One note about painting - latex enamels with a sheen tend not to dry hard enough to be used on shelving. Often heavy objects will apply enough pressure that the paint will somewhat bond with the object, causing the paint to peel when the item is moved

There are several ways around this. Flat latex shouldn't peel but... enamels do look and wear better. Oil enamel dries and wears real well but white oil paint will yellow over time. That leaves waterborne enamel. While more expensive it dries almost as hard as oil enamel, doesn't yellow, dries quickly and washes up with water

Old 04-02-10, 03:59 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Most cabinet makers buy their doors from door makers. You can probably find a supplier by googling what you want, give them the measurements you require and wait for the price. Be sitting down. I make some of my doors, but I have a tenoning jig for my table saw which makes the tenons for the corners very strong. As Marksr said, picture frame type corners won't stand up to the wracking of the daily use. Listen to him on paint.