Paint bleed-through

Old 10-17-10, 12:59 PM
Paint bleed-through

I went to great pains to restore two cox thimble drone control line airplanes . After I cleaned and removed the dec als from the planes , I sanded them down an d applied acoat of gray enamel primer. Then I applied two coats of color ,waiting the proper amount of time between both coats .Then I applied the decals and finally I applied two coat of clear gloss enamel paint . I waited 24 hrs before applying the secound coat of clear enamel . After I finished I noticed the body color of the plastic bleeding through . What would cause this it did not happen untill I applied the clear coat . Everything was sealed this should not have happened. Can someone help me out with a reason why this would accur ?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-10, 02:45 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums!

Are you sure all the paints were compatible?

It's possible that the paint didn't cover as well as you thought and the extra shine from the clear made it more noticeable. Another thought would be that the clear somehow softened up the paint under it causing it to bleed.

Old 10-17-10, 03:31 PM
a friend at the hobby shop also suggested that the decals left an unseen residue or that the sun mite have photo etched the decal markings into the plastic . He suggested to remove the paint job and start with a black primer instead of gray . Either way it's going to take a lot more work to fix the problem . But thanks for your input.

Old 10-17-10, 06:40 PM
Group Moderator
I would love to see some pictures.

When I was much, much younger I flew .10 and .20 control lines. I made several small craters in my parents back yard with my crash sites. Build for a month... fly for 10 minutes... get too cocky... pick up pieces of crashed plane and wonder what went wrong.

What a shame that toys like that are no longer made. I don't know how a kid can grow up without a couple .049's.

Old 11-07-10, 08:46 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Red Knight:

Whenever any stain bleeds through any paint or primer, what's actually happening is that the stain is dissolving in the thinner of the paint or primer.

For example: A lot of woods contain "tannin" which is a brown chemical that's highly soluble in water. If you use a latex primer on those woods, it'll often dry with a brown stain on it from the tannin in the wood. Painters know that and will use an oil based primer on cedar, Southern Yellow Pine, Redwood, red oak and mahogany. That's because the tannin isn't soluble in mineral spirits and won't discolour an oil based primer.

However, I agree with you that if you'd use oil based paint on this model, and if that paint dried normally without discolouring, then bleed through of the underlying plastic of the model is highly unlikely.

What was the colour of the plastic the model was made of? What was the colour of the discolouration on the clear gloss enamel. (By "enamel" do you mean an oil based paint or a high gloss latex paint.) I hope you don't say "white" as there are many things that can cause a clear latex paint to dry to a milky white appearance.