saw type for hobby ?

Old 12-13-10, 06:27 PM
wwc
saw type for hobby ?

I am interested in making bird houses etc.. and I need to know what type of power saw do I need ?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-10, 03:22 AM
Group Moderator
How much money do you want to spend? Generally I'd say look for an inexpensive table saw, as opposed to a hobby size saw.

Old 12-14-10, 10:10 AM
wwc
Oh I would say a little over a hundred bucks maybe or so.

How about a small band saw or scroll saw?
I want to be able to cut thin wood also for decorations etc.. and round cuts.

Old 12-14-10, 11:06 AM
Group Moderator
Being able to cut straight lines to make a box like a birdhouse requires a different tool than one for doing curves or scroll work. If you have to pick one tool it will be a compromise.

If you have to pick one my first pick would be for the highest quality scroll saw you can afford. I might even pick a used quality tool over a less expensive new one. The blade comes off scroll saws pretty easy so it's a simple task to pop off the blade and stick it through a pilot hole if you want to make a bigger hole or do scroll work that is not at the edge of your material (like the hole in a birdhouse). Also the reciprocating blade is relatively benign if you slip and touch your finger to it.

My second choice might be a band saw. A band saw's blade is continuous so it must always cut it's way in from the edge of the part, so it's not good for the f-holes of a violin. It will cut faster and handle thicker material than a scroll saw so it's better for longer straight cuts (though not perfect). The blade can bite you but it's nowhere nearly as dangerous as a circular saw.

I have an old Dremel scroll saw with disk sander and it is good for balsa but really slows down on even 1/8" thick birch plywood. It was great for making model airplanes but little else, but it's over 20 years old and I still find occasional uses for it. I inherited a small, hobby sized band saw from my grandfather and it was more trouble than it was worth. It never liked to cut straight and when trying to cut curves the blade would jump off, so it was donated to Good Will. I have several full size band saws but something that size is out of your price range. I also have a couple jig saws and even the cheap one does quite well, but you can only use them on larger parts, where you can work on some very tiny pieces with a scroll or band saw.

Old 12-14-10, 05:30 PM
Group Moderator
Check you local Craigslist for used equipment. You can pick up good used stuff for the price of new poor quality tools.

Old 12-15-10, 04:50 PM
wwc
thanks for the help, i'll see what I can find.