Qustion on wood size??

Old 08-13-11, 07:12 AM
Qustion on wood size??

I bought a pattern and the parts list for the wood states for example: 3/4 x 3/4 x 2 1/4 inch stock. I am not sure if I go into the store and get the wood that states 3/4 inch or would I get the one that states 1 inch that really measures 3/4 inch. I know its kind of a stupid question but for some reason it was boggleing my mind as to which size to really get. Thanks for any help!!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-11, 07:24 AM
Group Moderator
Quality lumber is measured in exact measurements such as the 3/4" listed. Construction lumber is measured in nominal measurements. Either will work for you because they are both 3/4" finished thickness. However, if you go buy a "1x3" construction type board the finished thickness will be 3/4" x 2 1/2" so you will have to rip it down for sure.

Old 08-13-11, 04:09 PM
Group Moderator
Yeah that can get confusing.

If the plans state 3/4" thick, and 2 1/2" wide that is the final thickness they intend you to use. So you would buy a 1x3 (which is really 3/4" x 2 1/2" usually). Or a buy 1x4 (which is 3/4" x 3 1/2" usually) and rip it down to the specified size.

Measurements used to mean something before downsizing. 2x4's were really 2x4! 3/4 was really 3/4". 4/4 was really 1". 5/4 was really 1 1/4". Now it seems those meanings are lost, and when you ask for something 4/4, you get a 3/4" thickness... ask for 5/4, you get something 1" thick, and if you want something that's 1 1/4" thick you need to ask for 6/4. Which is really stupid, IMO. (Unless the old timer I learned it from and everyone else at the local lumberyards had it backwards to begin with!)

Old 08-13-11, 06:00 PM
Now I got 2 different answers and I am really confused. So when I go into the store am I looking for something marked 3/4 inch or something that measures 3/4 inch? Does it mean anything, on the list of wood I need, where after the wood size, it states "STOCK"? Does stock mean anything in particular??? Thanks guys!!

Old 08-13-11, 06:43 PM
Group Moderator
i don't think they are 2 different answers. We both said get a 1x3. it will measure 3/4" x 2 1/2". You said you needed something 2 1/4" wide. So you would need to take that 1x3 and rip it on a table saw so that it's 2 1/4" since a 1x3 is 2 1/2" wide. If the store does not sell 1x3 you would get a 1x4 and rip it on a table saw so that it's 2 1/4" wide. Make sense?

I would think that if your plans say "stock" it would mean that you can buy a product that exact size. (i'm guessing, since I can't see your plans.) Like if the plans called for 3/4" x 3 1/2" x 4', that would be a stock item, since stores sell 1x4's that measure exactly 3/4 x 3 1/2"... as opposed to a "custom" item - one that you need to cut in order to make it the specified size.

Old 08-14-11, 04:34 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
To ease your mind, take a small tape measure to the store with you and measure the lumber. My eyesight isn't the best to so I tend to look at the lumber [which I recognize by sight] instead of the sign that tells the size..... but I assume a 2x4 is listed as a 2x4 even though it's actually 1.5"x3.5"

Lumber is cut to the full size at the saw mill. After it's dried [wood shrinks a little when dry] and planed to make it smooth and insure it's all uniform in size - that's how the smaller size comes about.

Search this Thread