Suggestions for cutting plexiglass?

Old 08-30-11, 08:21 AM
Suggestions for cutting plexiglass?

How to keep it from splintering and cracking?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-11, 08:39 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
No expert but I have cut plexiglass using a jig saw with a fine tooth blade.

btw - welcome to the forums!

Old 08-30-11, 08:49 AM
It can be scribed and snapped like glass, but I NEVER get a perfect edge, so I follow marksr. Use some painters tape or other for the saw to slide on to avoid scratching the plexi. Slow to avoid melting.

I had a project set up where a plexi company was going to cut out a few hundred patterns and they used a rotary bit. Not sure if it was just a router bit or something special for plexi, but they got a very smooth cut, unlike a saw blade. We smoothed up the edge with a torch.

Bud

Old 08-30-11, 10:28 AM
Group Moderator
They also make table saw blades for cutting plastic. Lots of teeth.

Old 08-30-11, 10:33 AM
Super Moderator
Seems like I heard that turning the blade around on a circ saw works too? Might have been a cordless saw? I'd use the tape in either case if you are concerned about scratches.

Old 08-30-11, 10:40 AM
Group Moderator
We use a roto-zip, which is a small router.

Have to use a guide - at least I'm way short of the skill required to do this free hand.

Old 08-30-11, 11:16 AM
Group Moderator
A abrasive high speed cut-off wheel works about the best at preventing cracks. You can also use a fine toothed blade in a circular saw turned backwards. If using a saw you can progressively sand the cut edge to remove scratches and potential cracks. After cutting, flaming the edges until it has a glossy smooth texture will further help prevent cracking.

Old 08-30-11, 01:32 PM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
Seems like I heard that turning the blade around on a circ saw works too? Might have been a cordless saw? I'd use the tape in either case if you are concerned about scratches.
That has always been my way. Always kept a couple of used plywood blades, regular steel not carbide tipped, for plexi and sheet metal. Since the blade acts a a friction blade dull is ok. Heat builds up quick from the friction on plexi so move the saw as fast as possible without forcing to lessen melt build up.

Old 08-30-11, 08:10 PM
Thanks for the replies. I just found this forum and I'm really impressed !!

Old 09-01-11, 12:15 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If you are looking for straight cuts and you have a table saw, just lower your blade to 1/2+ the thickness of the glass, run it through, flip it and run it through again. Dress up the edges as needed. No splintering and no shards, and it doesn't melt the plexi as much as a straight forward cut would.

Old 09-23-11, 07:52 PM
I got what looks like a little hook, made for cutting it. I scribe like 2 or 3 times, and then snap it off like cutting glass.