Sand casting

Old 11-07-11, 12:56 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sand casting

I have a few things, I want to sand, and may be more if it works out. I had learned how to sand cast, a long time ago, in high school. What I was wondering, is the sand special, or can I use clean dry play sand.

Old 11-07-11, 01:36 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
I have someone do my casting for me but whenever I've been at the foundry the new sand comes in bags and appears to be a special blend just for making molds. It feels slightly moist & oily in your hand and packs extremely well so I assume there is more than just one ingredient. The type of sand and other components probably has a big affect on how well it holds shape and the kind of surface detail it can support. There might also be a different sand recipes depending on what you are casting since they would see very different temperatures.

Old 11-07-11, 02:15 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Googeling "casting sand" brought many links. Here is one link that describes what one type of casting sand is PetroBond Foundry Casting Sand but there are many other links to help you and different types of molding sand.

Old 11-08-11, 03:01 PM
E
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks, for the replies. Some one else sent me a link, for additive to put in the sand. A 2 lb bag of additive, is a lot cheaper to ship, then a 50 lb bag of sand already mixed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: