Rough edges of oak plywood

Old 04-15-12, 02:57 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Rough edges of oak plywood

Good day to everyone!
I have a project I"m working on out of oak plywood. The project has some curves and I'm looking for ideas of how to finish the edges.
Any ideas would be great.
Thanks in advance!!!!

Old 04-15-12, 03:13 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Get iron-on edge banding, and apply it with a heat gun, press it on with a block of wood. Sand the edges down with 120 grit so they are slightly rounded.

BTW, welcome to the forums!

Old 04-15-12, 04:05 PM
K
Thank you!

Do you have any tips for applying this? I'm kind of nervous using it. I've seen it in the lumber yard but it's kind of expensive to ruin.

Old 04-15-12, 04:26 PM
Group Moderator
Measure how long of a strip you need... cut your veneer an inch or two longer... hold it in place, use the heat gun on its lowest setting and keep it moving back and forth over an area maybe 1 ft long. Once it's heated up, the glue will melt, at this point take the heat away and rub the wood block on it to press it down until it cools and sticks, then continue with the next 1ft or so.

You can use an electric iron on the iron-on veneer (on its lowest setting) if the curves aren't real tight.

Once you've finished you can trim the ends of the veneer to length with a sharp utility knife.

If you have a table saw with a nice blade, you could cut a real thin veneer off a piece of oak, and use contact cement on both surfaces to accomplish the same thing. But you'd need to sand the oak to take the saw marks out. Using the iron on veneer is just easier. You can usually buy a package of it at the hardware store, or bigger lumber yards will sell it by the ft.

Old 04-18-12, 04:35 PM
K
I was wondering if these rolls of veneer is unfinished????

Old 04-18-12, 04:53 PM
Group Moderator
yes, they are unfinished.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: