Building giant wood ramps

Old 08-06-12, 06:19 AM
Building giant wood ramps

I've been tasked to help with a large project for my daughters high school marching band... We need to build large wood ramps for them to perform on- total size will be like 36' total feet by 6' wide. It will have to built in (3) 12' sections- then assembled. While building the ramp is pretty straight forward- I'm looking for suggestions on how to easily move this.... It will have to be move on it's side to get through gates- Any suggestions? yes it's heavy!! thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-12, 02:25 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Ramp.....as in an angle? How much of an angle? At 36', just how high will the high end of the ramp be off the ground?? Or are you talking about a stage?

Old 08-07-12, 10:10 AM
yes and angle- also the ramp will be 6' wide and 36' long (built in sections)- is there another type of material to make ramp decking out of vs. wood- since wood is heavy.....

Old 08-07-12, 10:19 AM
Group Moderator
I would put wheels on the side of each ramp section. So when it's time to move them you stand them up on the edge with the wheels.

Yes there are other materials like aluminum but I'm sure your next post will be to say you have to make it cheap. Here are some traits for your project; safe, inexpensive, lightweight. Pick two.

Old 08-07-12, 10:44 AM
thanks- yes you are correct- where would I even get aluminum for something like this and how easy is it to cut?

Old 08-07-12, 10:55 AM
Group Moderator
I am paranoid but I think I would pass on this job unless you are running it through an insured business - you're assuming an awful lot of liability by building these ramps.