Anyone else into model rocketry?

Old 10-17-12, 03:25 PM
Anyone else into model rocketry?

I've been building model rockets, badly, for more than 20 years. Lately I've improved significantly on the quality of my assembly job and I've stepped up to significantly larger rockets, but I can't paint worth a darn, and I'm not so good at making the leading edges of the wooden fins look right either.

Last rocket I built was a scale model of a Thiokol high altitude sounding rocket that was known as the Tomahawk, no relation to the modern cruise missile. It launched successfully several times, but last launch it failed to eject the parachute in time and the top body tube crushed in when it nearly nosed in. I plan to fix it sometime, eventually.

I've got three rockets slated to build, one is a scale model of SpaceShipOne, and two others are more fifties-retro-scifi. One takes Estes E engines, the other takes Estes or Aerotech F or G engines. I'm looking forward to launching those.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-12, 08:58 PM
Group Moderator
I haven't done any rocket launching since I was back in high school. Sounds like your making quite a hobby of it. Are there any rocketry clubs out there ?

Old 10-17-12, 09:01 PM
There are, but mostly for "amateur" rocketry, which is for much bigger rockets. For really big rockets they have to get FAA clearance as they reach altitudes that could interfere with flightpaths. I'm nowhere near that scale, as my highest-flying rocket will only theoretically reach 1500 feet.

A sci-fi club I'm in likes launching rockets, mostly for the antics and failures, which can be quite spectacular.

Old 10-17-12, 09:33 PM
Group Moderator
Spectacular to say the least. Many a runaway

Old 10-18-12, 06:26 AM
Group Moderator
Yeah, not since high school for me, either. That said, I enjoyed it and can't tell you now why I quit.

Old 10-18-12, 07:38 AM
Everything's been in a box in the basement for 30 years waiting for one of my children--and more likely at this point, grand children--to take an interest. I wonder if the big 12V igniter battery is still good? Most of my stuff was Century brand and they went out of business decades ago!

Old 10-18-12, 08:00 AM
Well, if anyone wants back in, I've discovered the wonder that is the Hobby Lobby 40% off coupon... It makes buying a very large, $50 model rocket kit a lot more palatable. I just wish that they were open on Sunday, when I actually have time to pursue my hobbies...

Old 10-18-12, 08:04 AM
Group Moderator
Yeah, I hear you - hardware store in my little town isn't open on Sundays so one needs to plan ahead or make a long drive to the big box store.

You have me thinking about getting back into this....

Old 10-18-12, 08:11 AM
Do it! Do it!

*grin*

I'm still waiting for Hobby Lobby to carry the Saturn-V. I want one, but I don't want to pay the upwards of $100 that they want for it normally.

Search this Thread