Not sure what happened to my copper sink

Old 01-07-13, 02:54 AM
Not sure what happened to my copper sink

I had someone clean my house and when she was done, my copper sink had a grey discoloration around the drain. Not sure what she used on it or if this damaged my sink. Is there anything I can use to take this off

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-13, 05:27 AM
Group Moderator
It looks like a chemical in the cleaner they used has attacked the clear coating on your sink. First I would try a mild abrasive cleaner and see if it is something on the surface like a mineral stain. I suspect the sink's coating may be clouded. I don't know of a way of getting rid of it short of removing the coating which opens up a whole new can of worms.

Old 01-07-13, 05:30 AM
Super Moderator
What brand sink is it? I would read the manufacturers suggestions for restoration tips,

Possibly a copper cleaner???

Old 01-07-13, 05:51 AM
Group Moderator
Can you find out what chemical(s) the person used on the sink?

Old 01-07-13, 08:01 AM
It came in the cabinet along with the the faucets and is made by Hooker Furniture. Actually, on second thought, it may be brass?

Old 01-07-13, 08:14 AM
Group Moderator
It is also possible that it is steel or cement painted to look like copper/brass. In any case it appears like there is a clear coat of some type that has been attacked by the cleaner. Have you tried cleaning the spot yourself or scraping at it with your fingernail to see if it is just residue on the surface?

Old 01-07-13, 08:18 AM
Super Moderator
it may be brass?
Oh, my !!! That is not good...

Old 01-07-13, 10:31 AM
I was able to identify the model and called Hooker. They told me it was a baked on brass finish and said I could use softscrub (which they had tested) or regular toothpaste. I'm not having any luck but you are right..if I try scraping with my fingernail, I can see the "white" scraping off but it isn't necessarily coming off to the finish. It will take a lot of elbow grease unless you have another suggestion. Could it have anything to do with the water softener system we installed and the charcoal filter?

Old 01-07-13, 10:34 AM
On further observation, it does seem waxy...so maybe a soap buildup? I just don't know how that happened so suddenly. How would I get that off without scratching the metal? This is a sink that is seldom used as it is in the powder room.

Old 01-07-13, 01:06 PM
Group Moderator
I would go carefully. "Baked on brass finish" sounds a lot like paint. Try closing the stopper and put a few inches of water in the sink and let it set for a few hours. Then scrub with a cotton rag. If that does not do it I'd step up to Soft Scrub and focus only on the stained area.

As to how it happened I bet since it's a seldom used sink that there was water or water with cleaning solution in the bottom of the bowl and it evaporated leaving behind a salt & soap residue.

Old 01-15-13, 10:29 AM
Well that made things worse. I filled the sink up sigh 3/4 hot water and now 3/4 of my sink has the film on it. Wonder if it has something to do with our new water softener and charcoal filter system?

Old 01-15-13, 10:59 AM
Group Moderator
Is the film thinner? In other words, does it look like the water added to the film or just moved it around?

Old 01-15-13, 11:03 AM
Group Moderator
I'm wondering if it's salt residue left on the surface when the water dries or if it's somehow affecting the paint or clear coat on the sink?

Old 01-15-13, 05:58 PM
Not sure. Does not seem as dense but won't know til I try to clean it which will be in a week or so...just had surgery. Any suggestions on what to use on it. Maybe I can get my husband to try.

Old 01-15-13, 06:02 PM
Group Moderator
If it's a salt deposit waiting could allow it to harden further but I'm more concerned long term. If your water is doing this to the sink you can't keep dealing with water stains.

Old 01-15-13, 06:06 PM
This should be softened water although I am not happy with the spots on my glasses. Is the salt hardening good? Not sure I understand

Old 01-16-13, 05:12 AM
Group Moderator
I'm wondering if your softener is working properly. Generally you would have fewer mineral stains and water spots with a softener.