Painting an outdoor birdhouse (2 actually)

Old 03-25-13, 12:01 PM
Painting an outdoor birdhouse (2 actually)

I have built a couple of nice little plain birdhouses to replace a couple of deteriorated ones. To help the new ones not to deteriorate too quickly I decided to paint them. I'm pretty sure I've used paint that would kill the birds if they moved in while wet. I did the research after doing the painting. Clever eh?

Anyway I used Rust Oleum Painter's touch Ultra cover 2x. It contains acetone and xylene. What I'm hoping is that only the vapors are harmful and if the houses are fully dry and aired out before birds arrive they should be safe.

Anyone know for sure?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-13, 12:13 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums!

I know paint fairly well but birds not so much. I doubt any dried paint will be harmful to birds unless they eat it.

I'm not familiar with the rustoleum line of paint you used - is it an aerosol can? Generally paint that is brushed on will give better protection than sprayed on paint. Especially with rattle cans where the paint is drastically reduced so it can come out the tip. Most spray cans of paint contain more thinner and propellant than they do paint.

Old 03-25-13, 12:24 PM
YUP spray can. saving my own time only. The appearance is not the deal just the protection, and I had multiple coats in mind. I'm hoping the toxicity is just while drying. If I find out otherwise the time saving did not work did it?

Old 03-25-13, 12:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Spraying is good for nonporous substrates [like metal] When the substrate is porous it's best to brush or roll on the paint. When we spray houses we like to have a helper going behind the sprayer to back roll the paint - that helps to work the paint into the grain/pores and give a longer lasting job. I don't know how much a spray can will help or hurt your attempt to protect the bird house from the elements. If you had brushed a coat of primer on the wood first and then used the spray can it would have helped.

As the paint dries and has ventilation to carry away the fumes and off gassing - the air will no longer be toxic! I don't know if birds would try to eat the paint off of the wood and if they did, how well their systems would handle it. I wouldn't worry at all about the paint fumes, once the paint has dried and has been exposed to most any type of breeze for a day or so - the air will be fine.

Old 03-25-13, 12:36 PM
Group Moderator
I agree - once the paint is cured, this shouldn't be an issue.