Super Glued Pinion Gear on RC car motor

Old 12-09-13, 06:29 PM
Super Glued Pinion Gear on RC car motor

Long story short, I have an RC car electric motor (4000kv brushless for those interested) where the pinion gear had been super glued. I'm trying to get the gear off and don't want to apply force which may damage the motor.
Any ideas as to what could be done to separate the metal pinion gear from the metal shaft?
I am thinking thermal shock could work (leave in the freezer over night, heat pinion gear with butane pen torch) but looking to see if anyone can think of another idea.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-13, 07:31 AM
Group Moderator
Did you stick the gear on with super glue? Meaning are you certain it's cyanoacrylate and not an anaerobic glue or thread locker like LocTite? If it is cyanoacrylate you can try soaking it in acetone. If it's anaerobic glue than simply heating it moderately with a torch will soften the glue.

Old 12-10-13, 07:50 AM
It was dollar store super glue. I looked on the package and it didn't specify what chemical makeup it had.
I was out of lock tight at the time and my 2yrs old was on me to fix it quickly and get back out running.
I was able to remove the set screw, but couldn't get the gear to spin loose from the shaft.
Its been in the freezer at -18'c all night, so hoping it should break free with heat.
I'll try it once with the motor not powered. If that fails, I'll try once more, heating while the motor is spinning. The last time I clocked this motor, it was doing just over 44,000RPM. Thinking even heat on the gear and the vibration from the spinning might pop it off.
Will try without running it first as running it will introduce a projectile if it comes off at that speed.

Attached Images  
Old 12-10-13, 08:13 AM
Group Moderator
I would try the heat from a soldering iron.

Just stay clear of the fumes...... heated cyanoacrlyte is noxious.

Old 12-10-13, 10:09 AM
Group Moderator
Super glue is cyanoacrlyte and the Super Glue website even has a page for how to remove it. I wish my parents had known that 40 years ago when dad fixed my glasses and stuck them (literally) on my face.

Acetone may take a while to work into the joint if it can at all. Heating would probably be faster.

Old 12-10-13, 12:09 PM
Thermal shock worked easily. The motor and gear where ice cold. Supporting it by the gear only, hit it with the pen torch and the gear expanded enough to let the motor drop out.