Vacuum table frame design help

Old 01-26-14, 07:28 AM
Vacuum table frame design help

I'm looking for a few ideas to get around a design flaw in my vacuum box design.
The top sheet holder (basically a frame that holds the plastic sheet), is designed to be two MDF frames, with the plastic (polycorbonite or abs) sandwiched between. The frame is clamped together with a series of bolts with wing nuts. The problem I'm looking at is the wing nuts will hook on the oven rack, and I need there to be a bit of a riser to allow the plastics to bow without touching the oven rack.
The other side has to be perfectly flat to mate with the vacuum table.
I thought about adding a wood frame on the wing nut side, but this could make accessing the plastic when forming a bit tough and removing the wing nuts when cooling.
Any thoughts or ideas?

The frame is 2x2 and the inner plastic area (work area) will be 18"x18"

Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-14, 08:45 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Could you use Tnuts on either end? That would keep the profile down a little.

Name:  tnut.JPG
Views: 319
Size:  17.1 KB

Old 01-26-14, 01:46 PM
That could work for the one side, but I would want wing nuts or similar on the other so I can easily separate the frame and remove the plastics.
This is similar to what I am looking at except I'm using one piece of MDF for the top and one for the bottom with the center cut out.

Old 01-28-14, 05:41 AM
I opted to use those T-nuts as you suggested. I ended up picking up 1/4 HD MDF so there wasn't enough material in the wood to counter sink the bolts.
So, the two sides of the frame will require a 1/4" ratchet to assemble and separate. Shouldn't be too bad to work with.
For the box, I'll glue and screw like I use to for when I made speaker boxes. I figure 1/2" HD MDF should be strong enough (and offer enough material to screw into) while not being super heavy

Old 01-28-14, 06:04 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I was figuring the sacrifice of using a ratchet over your hands may trump things. Hope it works out. At least it will be a lower profile to deal with.

Old 01-28-14, 06:07 AM
It will lower it a bit for sure.
I just need to setup a temp wood shop in the basement now. Its been -25'C to -40'C here the last few weeks. I don't want to be outside trying to cut wood in that temp.