spray painting plastic

Old 09-14-14, 09:54 PM
spray painting plastic

I dont think my long-explanation post went through, so in case it didnt, here's the deal. I am custom painting a Little Tikes car for my nephew, and cant seem to lay down a base-coat of gloss black without getting hundreds of little "pinholes" of imperfection with even the first coat of paint. Ive tried many many different prep methods, including filler-primer, and they just keep popping up. Ive tried different paints and various stages of sanding, and these little rackin frackin imperfections keep showing up before the paint has even dried to the touch. Help please!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-14, 04:22 AM
Super Moderator
Thumbs up Welcome to our forums!

Pinholes in paint is a form of fisheye and is normally caused by silicone or oil on the surface.
If the surface has been degreased there may be a reaction with the paint type you are using.

Some types of plastics can not be painted where the paint will last for any appreciable time but you can try spray in a rattle can labelled for plastics.
Follow the instruction for surface prep on the can.

Old 09-15-14, 04:25 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I agree it sounds like fish eyes. They sell fish eye medicine you can add to the paint but I agree with Greg that plastics don't always paint well. I'd be inclined to sand/clean the plastic and use a rattle can of paint formulated for use over plastic.

Old 09-18-14, 07:57 AM
I agree with GregH and Marksr. Some plastic just doesn't take to certain paints very well. Depending on how you prime it afterwards, sanding might not be a bad idea. Thoughts?

Old 09-23-14, 07:24 PM
Thank you gentlemen for your advice. I've tried both regular spray paint and spray paint designed for plastics. Both leave pinholes. Would it be unwise to wipe the filler primer with some rubbing alcohol before laying down the first coat of paint? Or maybe even laying down the first coat, hitting it with the alcohol after it dries, and then doing a second coat? Thats the only thing I havent tried yet.

Old 09-24-14, 03:12 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Denatured alcohol might help, never tried rubbing alcohol. You need to make sure any previous fish eyes or defects are sanded off, then wipe the plastic down with a clean lint free rag wet with solvent.

Old 09-24-14, 05:39 AM
Super Moderator
Not sure how much effort you want to expend to do this but you can try an adhesion promoter primer , a plastic primer or flexible bumper paint.

I am sure one of these would work.

Search this Thread