Outdoor Christmas Decorations

Old 09-15-14, 07:27 PM
Outdoor Christmas Decorations

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this.

We live in N. California near Sacramento. Christmas is my wife's favorite holiday, and she has been looking for outdoor decorations but can't find the "right" stuff. She is looking for lighted, wrapped Christmas packages. (We had a set for several years, but they became discolored over time and we finally tossed them.) I was thinking I could make something for her, and hoped you all could suggest some materials. Starting with a basic box, it would have to be brightly colored and visible during the day, and then incorporate some solid, colored LED lights for after dark. I imagine it would have to be made of some sort of smooth, weatherproof material that would resemble a wrapped package. I haven't done my google due diligence yet, I thought I would ask here first to see if anyone has invented this particular wheel before me. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-14, 08:46 PM
Group Moderator
Hang tight.... Justin will stop by. He can't resist a Christmas decoration thread.

If you google around look at DIY Vintage Chic

Old 09-19-14, 05:56 PM
Still searching for ideas. Unfortunately, this doesn't make for an easy google search. I am stuck on the material to use. The "store bought" boxes we had were a wire frame covered with a woven fabric of some kind. I haven't found any similar fabric that a civilian such as myself could buy.

Old 09-19-14, 10:55 PM
If you can weld, or know someone who does, you can weld the frame out of rebar and paint it to keep it from rusting away. Depending on size, you can either use LED rope lights and ty-rap them to the frame using a high quality zip tie, or use C7 bulbs if it's even bigger. If you want a wrapped look, you can look around the craft stores for some translucent fabric of some sort. You want to stay away from mini lights as they don't last. Rope lights can be cut every 2-3 feet depending on brand.

Old 09-21-14, 02:45 PM
Thanks Justin. Can't weld. I looked at some sun-fade-proof fabric on line. Ay caramba, them are pretty spendy. I like the fabric store idea. Maybe a cedar or redwood frame with LED lights. Still narrowing down the design ideas.

Search this Thread