Disc Golf putting practice pole

Old 06-26-15, 04:13 PM
Disc Golf putting practice pole

Hi. This might be an odd request, but, essentially, I'm trying to come up with a realistic design on how to make something like this:

So, I'm basically trying to make a 5.5ft pole stand straight up and "give" or move when it is struck, then revert back.

Basically, I'll be throwing frisbies or "disc golf discs" at this pole, to practice my ability to hit within a certain range. I'd like the pole to swing, give, or move when struck..so it doesn't break easily. These discs are around 172gm, being throw from 30ish feet, at the pole..so there's a bit of force behind it, that I think will either break or knock it over if it doesn't have any give. Knocking over/breaking won't work, as I'd have to go stand it back up, without having the chance to get into a rhythm.

So..for all intents and purposes, I just need a pole to stand up, get hit, give, and return to it's original upright position.

I think the choice of base will be the winning factor, as well as finding a way to keep a 5.5ft length of pvc pipe (or whatever) upright.

I drew up a quick picture to help visually represent what I'm kinda trying to do..if that helps.

Name:  test.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  8.4 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-15, 05:00 PM
Temporarily Suspended
You could look for something inflatable. When I was a kid, my uncle bought be an inflatable punching bag that would stand up again after I punched it.

Another idea is to use 2 thick heavy duty elastic straps. Hang one from the branch of a tree & the other connected to a stake in the ground. Connect them in the middle.

Old 06-26-15, 05:05 PM
Group Moderator
I was thinking a piece of 3/4" PEX or larger diameter poly pipe. I don't think you could hit PVC hard enough to break it but if your should run into it or fall on it it can shatter. PEX and poly is stiff enough to stand vertically but will bend without breaking if you decide to tackle the pole.

Old 06-26-15, 06:32 PM
Temporarily Suspended
The problem with Pex is that it won't return to it's original position, after it's hit. At least I don't think it will.

Old 06-27-15, 05:28 AM
Group Moderator
Nope, it returns to it's original position. PEX is made from polyethelene so it tends to return to it's original shape. I mainly recommended it because it's available from home centers in 10' long straight pieces while most poly pipe is usually sold in coils which can be difficult to straighten.

Old 06-27-15, 06:34 AM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums from a fellow disc golfer!

The first thing I thought of was to use a bungee cord similar to a shock core used in tent poles. I don't thing you could have the entire pole bend over but you likely be able to have the target area move.

Use some cut 1"-ish PVC and thread the bungee cord through some washers on either end and tie it off. You will have to pre-stretch the cord to so the two parts will stand up.

For the base you will need something heavy. Placing the pipe in the ground would be a good option as you could install a sleeve that you can just slide the target in when you want to use it. Otherwise, if you want it to be more portable, I would suggest using a base for a deck umbrella.

Here is a picture of what I was thinking. Note the pipe would extend all the way down into the base:

Name:  DG target.png
Views: 546
Size:  3.9 KB

I have not tried any of this and is only an idea. BTW - have you looked on eBay for targets? They can be had for about $120

Old 06-27-15, 07:03 AM
Temporarily Suspended
Won't the base be in the way? I thought that the OP wanted something flexible from top to bottom.

Old 06-27-15, 07:20 AM
Group Moderator
If you look at a disc golf target, you are only throwing at the top half where the chains are so the disc will fall in to the basket after hitting the chains. Making the pole the same would better reflect a "real" target.

Name:  basket.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  9.4 KB

Old 06-27-15, 08:56 AM
Temporarily Suspended
I guess that I don't know enough about the sport to help with the design.

Old 06-27-15, 03:28 PM
Thanks for the ideas, gentlemen. While at work, it hit me..that I only need the kill zone to be loaded, and naturally, if I build a taller base, I can worry a lot less about top heaviness with a spring.

I especially like the bungy cord idea. Here's some ideas I've been thinking about. I wish there was an easy way to design something out of pvc..like an app or something, lol.

I was even thinking about trying to put a net on the back of it, for indoor use, lol.
That was just a "right now" thought though..might look into it more.

I'm not real sure how expensive pvc is, but I don't want to spend a lot of money and buy a basket..nor deal with chains or anything. I just want a small, stationary target I can throw at. Aim small, miss small :P. Indoor use would probably be ideal, too..since work prevents a lot of play :PName:  hmm.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  16.9 KB

Old 06-27-15, 04:57 PM
Group Moderator
PVC is very cheap, as would be the washers. I have not priced bungee cord so that might add to the cost. The base would also likely add to the cost but I suspect you could get one used on craigslist.

Here is something I thought you might be interested in: Park Sun Super Loop 2 Disc Golf Target Hoop Set | eBay
You could use it indoors unless you miss. My Disc Golf buddy uses a sheet with a hole cut in it for putting.