Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Recreational Hobbies, Photography, Arts and Crafts > Wood, Metal, Plastic Models & Hobbies
Reload this Page >

Making a wooden staff for renfaire & need to attach "glass-like" crystal

Old 09-23-15, 11:25 AM

I have a long, straight piece of sycamore that I am using to make a staff. The top is flat and about 2" in dia. I have one of those large Tiffany diamond cut paper weights I want to attach to the top. The "top" of the paper weight is flat as well and I want to attach the two flat sides so the staff ends in the point.

My question is how do I do this?

Do I use epoxy? Silicone glue?

One thing I considered was drilling a small hole in the flat top of the paper weight (I think I can do this as it's not glass. It's some sort of acrylic or lexan) and a corresponding hole in the top of the staff and using a clear dowel pin to join the two and use epoxy on the dowel and the flat surfaces for joining.

I would appreciate any feedback on the best way to join these two pieces.

Thank you

Cliff

Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-15, 11:33 AM
Group Moderator
I haven't used it but Loctite makes an adhesive for glass and crystal and such. Otherwise I'm thinking polyurethane glue (Gorilla Glue is the most common brand).

Old 09-23-15, 11:38 AM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

There are several ways you could fasten that "jewel".
Silcone doesn't have the strength needed for this job. An epoxy would be a better choice.

I would use a hanger bolt. The coarse side would go into the wood staff. It wouldn't need any adhesive. You would drill a hole in the jewel so that it could be threaded onto the fine threaded part. You could use a touch of epoxy on the fine thread and in between the staff and the jewel.

Name:  Hanger_bolt.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  10.6 KB

Old 09-23-15, 12:03 PM
Group Moderator
I like Pete's mechanical solution over glue.

Old 09-23-15, 06:59 PM
Can't drill the crystal

So I tried to drill the crystal to use the hanger bolt. I do NOT have a drill bit, but I have some pretty nice drills and bits that will cut through most anything. So, the crystal must be glass or something cos I could only get the tiniest of bits to even dent it.

So, looks like epoxy!!