need to make a gunstock super glossy

Old 03-20-16, 06:26 PM
need to make a gunstock super glossy

I was wonder what type of finish I could apply to a gunstock to make it super glossy...there is a product from the gun shop called Tru-oil and a lot of gunsmiths use it for final finish on gun stocks, however the wood on this rather expensive shotgun is already very smooth and just want to make it really shine.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-16, 07:33 PM
Tru-oil will give you a semi-gloss finish at best, kinda like what you have in the pic.. What you are looking at is having it sprayed with a good quality gloss wood finish like Varathane or like product . It is very difficult to get the finish your looking for so I would suggest you look someone with experience in spray finishing gun stocks, you will be glad you did.

Last edited by Ron53; 03-20-16 at 07:35 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-21-16, 03:33 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
In addition to Ron's comments, your finish may be hard, like a polyurethane. Getting another finish to adhere properly would require some modification to the surface to allow it to accept the new finish. You'll want to intentionally not allow the new finish to permeate the checkering, so a good professional application may be in the offing. Can, or have you removed the stock and forearm from the shotgun before?

Old 03-21-16, 04:49 AM
Group Moderator
I have never tried but I wonder if a wax might be an option. If attempting it I would remove the wood from the gun. Mask off the checkering and remove the recoil pad then apply a 100% carnauba wax? It won't give a high gloss but it should bring what you have up a notch or two. And, as a natural wax it won't damage the current finish and can be removed with alcohol if you don't like the look.

Old 03-21-16, 05:03 AM
Temporarily Suspended
I have never tried but I wonder if a wax might be an option
Paste wax is used on wood floors so it may work but the gun could slip out of your hands. Why does it have to be glossy?

Old 03-21-16, 05:16 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It's a sporting clay gun, so it won't make much difference, but I would not want a shiny finish on a hunting weapon mainly for reflectivity of light scaring off my game.

Old 03-21-16, 05:22 AM
Temporarily Suspended
scaring off my game.
Something like that crossed my mind but it was more on "they can see me coming" type of thing; as if it were some enemy. I never hunted.

Old 03-21-16, 05:28 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I would add that the shinier the finish is the more any scratches or minor damage will show.

Old 03-23-16, 09:12 AM
thanks for the replies guys can anyone tell me more about the spray on type finishes and if this isn't really a DIY type project, where I might have something like this done, are there places for me to send the wood out and what might a turn around time take ( dry time ) etc

forget about scratches and the link this gun probably will not get shot much, Dad wants it to shine

Old 03-23-16, 11:17 AM
Group Moderator
My thought would be a couple coats of gloss polyurethane and then a polish. Lots of elbow grease and the non-smooth areas like the check would still not shine to any great degree.

Old 03-23-16, 04:50 PM
Group Moderator
Yes, there are many places you can take or send your stock. First I would get a budget in mind. As for how long it will take will depend heavily on who does the work. In general the good gunsmiths, stock and barrel makers are quite backed up so your wait might be measured in months.

Search this Thread