making straight cuts on foamboard

Old 09-26-16, 07:53 AM
making straight cuts on foamboard

I have some large sheets of foamboard (like what real estate signs are made of)- The sheets are 4' x 8' but I need to cut a few inches off the 8 foot side. Is there an easy way to cut the long side straight??? When I tried with razor knife- the cut did not look very good- Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-16, 08:16 AM
Group Moderator
Are you using a guide of any kind?

Old 09-26-16, 08:28 AM
If you are talking about foamcore..two pieces of poster board with foam in between...I use my circular saw with a straight guide. Leaves a factory clean edge. I put it on top of a piece of foam insulation board to support it during the cut.

Old 09-26-16, 09:24 AM
too thin for circular saw- it's same material as real estate signs.... bendable...yes used a 1x4 as a straightedge- the razor knife tends to "drift" when cutting... Wasn't sure if I could use 2 pieces of wood somehow to keep knife straight

Old 09-26-16, 09:53 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
When using a straightedge as a fence you need to keep the knife pressure towards the fence. You also want to make sure that the fence is held tightly against the material being cut.

Old 09-26-16, 10:20 AM
Group Moderator
On something that thin you could clamp a guide on each side, if that would help you.

Old 09-27-16, 07:08 AM
There's a particular blade recommended for this that works far better then a box knife. It's almost as thin as a shaving razor and just as sharp. You might find it at a good hardware store, most definitely at an art supply.