Waterproof, nonporous sealant for rubber

Old 10-28-16, 05:28 PM
Lightbulb Waterproof, nonporous sealant for rubber

I have an incontinent pet, and recently bought a rubber mat to cover the area under her litter box (she tends to miss). Since rubber is porous, I would like to seal the mat with something that is both nonporous and flexible (I was thinking maybe polyurethane). What would be the best sealant for this purpose? Would polyurethane crack if I rolled up the mat?

I might also treat it with a hydrophobic product like NeverWet (to make it easier to clean). Thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-16, 10:32 PM
You must have a different kind of rubber in Canada as I have never seen any rubber that would allow liquids through. Are you sure it isn't pooling, running off the edge and then under the mat?

Old 10-28-16, 11:11 PM
Group Moderator
Can you provide an on line link to the mat. Like Furd I'm puzzled. Have you tried a wee-wee pad over the rubber mat? Some examples: https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-...ies/3024225011

Old 10-29-16, 09:10 AM
Hmmm, I may not have clearly communicated what the problem is... Urine doesn't leak through, but the surface is textured and porous (so it would smell over time). I want to protect the rubber from absorbing the smell of cat urine as much as possible (and also make it easier to clean). Here's a link to the product (it was cheaper when I bought it).

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old 10-29-16, 09:54 AM
I'd look at the waterproofing products sold for hiking boots, tents, and the like. They will be flexible and should do the trick.

Example: https://www.amazon.com/Kiwi-Camp-Hea...oof+spray+boot

Old 10-29-16, 10:12 AM
Smile

That's really interesting, I like it! I would also like to smooth out the textured surface though (in case my cat poops on it... hasn't happened but it totally could). I was initially thinking I would start with a surface coating, and then treat that surface coating with something like the water repellant you described

So my plan so far looks like (and definitely tell me if I'm overthinking/complicating this):
Step 1: Polyurethane or similar coating (to smooth out the surface, needs to be flexible though).
https://www.minwax.ca/wood-products/...g-polyurethane

Step 2: Waterproofing treatment (I like your suggestion, I'll look for this type of product!).
https://www.amazon.ca/Kiwi-Camp-Heav...=camp+dry+kiwi

Old 10-29-16, 12:10 PM
Not sure the poly will stick to rubber, nor do I know if it will be flexible enough to roll up the mat, especially if you put on enough coats to smooth the surface. I suggest you test on a small area on the back first....

Another product comes to mind. It's one of those As seen on TV products, and I haven't used it, so maybe it's junk. But I have seen other manufacturers introduce similar products so maybe it works. Anyway, it's called Flex Seal and is supposed to be flexible rubber type sealant. Spray on or brush on. Might be worth a test.

Old 10-29-16, 12:15 PM
I don't like plugging products that are advertised on late-night TV but "Flex Seal" might also be something that would work. It would definitely get rid of the textured surface.

Contrary to what the commercials state, you CAN buy Flex Seal from many different places including in some cases your local hardware store. I don't know how well it would adhere to your mat but I think that moistening a rag with MEK solvent and wiping the mat just before the Flex Seal would help tremendously. If you DO use the MEK remember that it is highly flammable and the vapors are deadly so do it in a very well ventilated area or outside. Don't use a lot of MEK, just enough to slightly moisten the surface of the mat and it will evaporate in a matter of seconds.

Old 10-29-16, 12:54 PM
Thanks guys! I think since the FlexSeal is still rubber (or rubber like) it might absorb the scent of urine (may not be the most ideal). I read online (link below) that polyurethane is "highly compatible" with rubber, but I guess I'm just not sure about how flexible it is. The same site mentions that it dries to an "elastic-type" seal, but I was hoping someone had worked with it and could advise how much give polyurethane actually has (and if I had selected the right type of product).

The Different Effects between Polyurethane Sealants and Urethane Sealants | DoItYourself.com