Metal diy models with soldering

Old 02-18-17, 07:39 AM
Metal diy models with soldering

Hello,
They have always been interesting metal products made of nuts, bolts and other metal rubbish. My dream for many years to do something simple. Can anybody tell me how it soldering between two metal pieces? Is it the same as with solder electrical wires? How best can clear them from rust? How can I make lightly bending of the metal? Whether it can become ordinary gas burner? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-17, 08:04 AM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums from across the Sea.

I've always been fascinated with metal sculptures too. Almost any pieces of metal can be fastened together to make art.

Metal can be cleaned with emery cloth (metal sandpaper) or a wire brush. The metal must be clean for a good soldering bond.

Most metal can be bent in a vice or by using two pairs of plies.

When you say gas burner I think of stove top burner. That would be pretty hard to control and not enough concentrated heat. A gas torch, like acetylene or propane, would be good.
I have several large electric soldering irons that I use. Easy to control and no flame burned metal.

You would use an acid core flux solder. The acid cleans the metal for solder adhesion.
Flux is also available separately for better cleaning.

There are many 200 watt soldering irons for sale on eBay. A used one would be fine too.

Name:  iron.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  16.8 KB

Old 02-19-17, 09:02 AM
Hello Pjmax,
thanks to its answer.
I see that others do with welding. I do not have welding tools, and not'm not very good welding. Also after welding of the parts I do not like places where it is we found. For this I try to soldering.
I meant to say gas burner with propane. So I have to look for soldering power 200 watts? If less? If induction? As we speak, it would be amateur pastime and did not think to give +200$ for soldering . What admixture offer me add - again you must be a tin or you work with another?
It can also become a glue or epoxy. You tried something similar?

Old 02-19-17, 09:57 AM
Group Moderator
Most metals.... like iron, steel, brass, tin, copper can soldered easily.
Aluminum cannot be easily soldered.

I find the electric iron to be perfect for the job but the propane torch can certainly be used too.

I would never consider buying a new 200w iron now. I bought mine many years ago when the American Beauty iron was $45 USD. I would consider buying a used one. As long as the tip isn't damaged they last a good long time.

Old 02-19-17, 03:41 PM
Group Moderator
Cleaning nuts and bolts is a problem. If they are rusty the rust must be removed and if they are new the plating needs to be removed before welding or soldering. Tumbling is an easy way to clean them up. It takes a hour or so but you can just dump them in a tumbler or vibrator cleaner and walk away. If doing it manually you'll need to resort to filing, sanding, grinding or a wire brush.

A high powered soldering iron can be used. You may also find a small torch handy if doing something creative or crafty. Something used by jewelers or with a similarly small tip can put a lot of heat into a small spot without requiring contact like a soldering iron. It also opens up the option of heating metal for bending. You can also heat metal to cause interesting changes in color.

Search this Thread