Tonka ricochet rc car powers on but doesn't respond to remote

Old 09-21-20, 02:11 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tonka ricochet rc car powers on but doesn't respond to remote

I just popped in a new battery. I picked this up used and it "worked last time" he tried it, so might it just need a couple minutes in a microwave or something? Anyone have any experience with these?

​​​I made sure car and remote on same channel, both power lights on. Movement of any kind

Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-20, 02:27 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,118 Votes on 1,038 Posts
No.... a few minutes in the microwave won't help.

The problem is you don't know if it's the car or the transmitter.
Sometimes the car wheels or the steering will move when the car power is turned on.

I have a receive I use to test the transmitter. You won't have anything like that.

Old 09-22-20, 01:15 AM
J
Thanks. So transmit me a signal. Connect this special device to your cell phone, then I'll point mine to the car and see if it moves. Or let's pop this bad boy open and see if we can pop something back in place. You think it's worth a try?

Old 09-22-20, 06:02 PM
Group Moderator
Did you make sure the battery in the transmitter is good ?
It looks like an LED on the front of the transmitter...... is that working ?

Old 09-22-20, 08:06 PM
J
Battery is brand new. When you say transmitter I'm thinking remote control. The remote has one light, just a red light that glows when power is on. Hmm...

So what's this secret special tool you have? Like a universal "transmitter" with some basic buttons for testing stuff? Maybe I should get one for testing? I resell stuff and it could come in handy if I find cool rc toys just missing remotes right? Figure out if they work and what frequencies and get generic remotes right? What do you think? And any idea if it's the car that's dead how these just die and if there's an easy fix? Apparently there's people that buy broken stuff including these things I'm assuming to fix. Maybe you're one of em

Old 09-23-20, 05:07 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 632 Votes on 584 Posts
There is no special tool. It looks like your toy is 72 mhz by the antenna's size. There are specific frequency channels so another transmitter will not work unless it is on the same frequency as the car. Plus, the toy is so inexpensive any universal transmitter thingy would cost many times more than the toy.

The way you phrased your original post it sounds like you've never actually seen the car work. I'm assuming the person sold it because it was broken. To fix it you will need to open up the transmitter and car and really dig in to find the problem. It could be as simple as a broken wire to the battery connector or it could be a component failure.

Old 09-23-20, 11:53 AM
J
It was free. Po thought it just needed a new battery. Unfortunately not. I'll try a couple minutes in the microwave..

Old 09-23-20, 01:01 PM
D
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 46 Votes on 39 Posts
I used to fool with RC airplanes a little. I built one but its been 35+ years since I fooled with one so my knowledge might be waaaaayyyy out of date.

Each action on the car has a servo motor. In other words the steer tires have a servo motor that turns the wheels left & right. The rear wheels have a servo motor that turns the wheels forward & backwards. I think you get the point.
Since we have determined the batteries are good in both the remote control (transmitter) & the car (receiver), lets make sure that each servo motor is working. Again, for every active/moving part, there is a servo motor. Just because one does/doesnt work, doesnt mean another does/dont work. Check them all.
I think you said that the light comes on on both but not sure & I aint gonna re-read all the posts. The lights just tell you it has power (good batteries), not transmit or receive.

Wrong frequency.
Transmitter or receiver is bad.
Check voltage where the batteries connect & just after. Start there & move out from there. Check the on/off switch on both transmitter & receiver.
Wires loose or broken etc. could be anything at this point.
Unless its obvious, like AAA, AA, C or D batteries, make sure you have the correct batteries.

Make sure its the correct remote for that specific car. Again, check that frequencies are the same for both units. They used to make them where you could choose between multiple frequencies. For example, If Jim Bob & Suzie both had RC's they could ensure that both are not on the same frequency by switching one to an alternate frequency. If both were on the same frequency, Jim Bob & Suzie would be conflicting & would be going crazy all over the place, taking direction from both Jim Bob & Suzie. So, they could compare each others frequencies before starting to play & make sure that one or the other switches frequencies. In short, see if there are multiple choices of frequencies & ensure that both the transmitter & receiver are indeed on the same exact frequency.

Sorry for the long post.

Old 09-23-20, 01:59 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 632 Votes on 584 Posts
Yea, many cars like that came on separate channels so kids could race against each other. If the transmitter and car got mixed up they won't work together.

No, the microwave will not help but you may hear some popping sounds as components explode. Be prepared for a interesting smell.

----
Dixie, things have changed a fair bit in 35 years. The airplanes have gotten much bigger and more complex with digital radios & servos, multi axis gyros, lithium batteries, gasoline engines, telemetry...

Dixie2012 voted this post useful.
Old 09-23-20, 02:17 PM
D
Forum Topic Moderator
Ahhh, yeah, nice planes there. I had (I think) 1/24th. A few of the guys had some 1/35 scale. I hated that fuel back then. It'd get all over the planes & you'd spend more time cleaning them up than flying.

Old 09-23-20, 02:23 PM
Group Moderator
You could buy an inexpensive police scanner. Program a frequency near the transmitter and listen for the sounds from the transmitter. It will be bursts of signals as the functions are changed.

I have a spectrum analyzer but they're pretty expensive.
You could be looking at $500-1000 for a decent used one.

Old 09-23-20, 08:57 PM
J
what on God's earth do you do with it that's worth that much? Maybe I could use one. Do you communicate with aliens, nanobots?

Old 09-23-20, 09:00 PM
J
nice planes! nice planes. nice planes...(had to meet min char req)_

Old 09-23-20, 09:11 PM
J
Thanks

yeah, I checked they matched frequencies, and zero movement any direction. So sounds like either transmitter or receiver and I'm not going to open it up.... actually just checked and I'm not going to invest in an illuminati head screw with what appears to be a triangular indentation. Never seen those and I think it's a sign I'm not welcome. But thanks for your lengthy informative response. I'll hold onto for next time.

Old 09-24-20, 05:03 AM
D
Forum Topic Moderator
Allow me to make another suggestion from my previous post. I noted that most RCs have several frequencies of choice. I never heard of it but maybe the channel/frequency you've been using, doesn't work. Try switching both transmitter & receiver to all of the other frequencies available & try all of those.